Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Wisconsin's Second Recall Election

Yesterday was the second round of recall elections and four of the six challenged Republican Senators managed to hold onto their seats with Democrats only successfully recalling two senators (incumbents Dan Kapanke and Randy Hopper).

This video describes the situation in Wisconsin perfectly:


I have a few thoughts on the elections last night:

1. The fact the GOP is claiming this as a win is really symbolic of their failure to understand the reality of the political landscape. Their insistence that they have a mandate, that the voters support them in ever endeavor, and the idea that Republicans winning in Republican districts is earth shattering are all examples of this. If someone came into my house and told me I had to race them for dinner (that I made), I would not say I won if I managed to keep four out of six dishes. (I'll admit that's a horrible example but whatever.) Want to be proud you didn't lose? Then great. But not losing is not the same as winning and the fact Walker claims the recall shows voters want both sides to "work together" is a major victory for the Democrats.

2. A shit ton of money was spent in this election. It's a bit appalling actually.

3. Everything could shift again on Tuesday. As the video pointed out, as long as Democrats can hold onto the other two seats then there will be a pro-labor majority. That's a big "if" though. Personally I think it's too early to be too excited about anything and I hope people get out to vote just as much next week as they did yesterday.

4. People really hate Kathy Nickolaus.

In the end though, I agree wholeheartedly with Sarah. It doesn't really matter who won or lost. The recalls themselves were a major victory for voters and I think both sides should respect that.

2 comments:

  1. I think the financial aspect of it is one thing that bothers me. Something like $35 million via labor unions was spent on the Democratic candidates and there were reports of millions being donated from out of state for the Republicans.

    I think that's part of why our political policies have become so corrupt. Candidates know they don't stand much of a chance if they can't spend heaps of cash on campaigns, so they cut backroom deals with special interest groups and lobbyists to help get them in their seats. The mainstream media (all of the major networks) are all in on it too. It's pretty messed up.

    There should be caps on how much one can spend on a campaign, based on the position (local ones of course requiring less cash than state or national.) There should be restrictions on who can fund the campaigns and nothing should be private. I read there was a PAC that formed, donated money to Mitt Romney(I think it was him) and then disbanded quickly. Then there's the fact that PAC money can be spent on most anything, which has been highlighted on Colbert Report. Let me stop this novel before I get more carried away. =p

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha no worries! I totally agree that there should be more regulation of campaign donations. I'm minoring in campaign management and it's one of the aspects I'm most looking forward to learning more about.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?