Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Fighting Over God

I just watched an clip from the movie The Ledge where two men argue over the question of god:


As an atheist I found it interesting since most of the time I feel like atheism is misrepresented in popular culture in order to make cheap shots. I was recently reading a YA book where this happened actually. The author wrote a passage where a biology class started questioning god and the person who basically represented atheism (which is problematic) was painfully naive. While I don't mind books where religion is part of the story, I felt like the author used this scene to speak to me directly as a reader about the importance of god and it pissed me off. Now this isn't too shocking and it's not the end of the world or anything, but it can be frustrating sometimes. In this clip though, it feels like both men are arguing their positions in more genuine fashion.

I also like writer-director Matthew Chapman's description of the film:

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?