Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Stewart: Who Killed Osama bin Laden?

Perfect as always:



Rachel Maddow had a segment about the obvious bias Sunday Morning shows gave to former Bush administration officials regarding Bin Laden:

"The Sunday shows are supposedly the apex of political debate, the pulsing throbbing heart of what is going on in American politics. Is the biggest story in American politics right now retirees from the Bush administration and how they feel about stuff? Plus Dick Lugar?"
ETA: I just read an interesting post that argues with Maddow's conclusion. Though more former Bush staff were given interviews, the few Democratic interviewees were given more time. So I guess it's a question of quantity versus quality? I have two objections to this: 1. The members of the Bush administration are well known and I think their familiarity works in their favor. I doubt former Obama Communications Director Anita Dunn and National Security Adviser Tom Donilon are the reason people stayed tuned. 2. Even if these GOP members were given less face time, their sheer numbers makes them appear to be saturating the Sunday shows. This adds weight to what they say, even if it is not entirely accurate.

3 comments:

  1. Well, in all fairness, you would have to admit that the media in general is biased towards the left. That is just blatant, really. I honestly never noticed it until I really started to pay attention to politics.

    As to the fact of who killed Osama, I just don't understand why this is even an issue. It wasn't Bush and it wasn't Obama. Neither of them deserve the credit as far as I'm concerned. Just like you can't blame all of the economic problems on either one of them. It's so silly, really.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well as Stephen Colbert said, reality has a liberal bias. In all honesty though, I think everyone thinks the other side is more represented in the media. Probably because we notice what we disagree with more than the reverse. As a liberal, I definitely don't feel there's an overall liberal bias. That's not to say it doesn't exist, but I think that it's more practical to look at the issues specifically. There's no denying the media was conservative as hell about the Iraq war and I think centrist Democratic positions are more prolific than any other liberal position. So we basically end up with hardline Republicans and soft Democrats. I think the real problem is that most news corporations are owned by a very few conglomerates. There will always be bias in the media and this right vs left obscures the bigger issues of accountability and corporate interests. Also, this doesn't really change the point about the Sunday shows.

    And of course Obama deserves some of the credit. Just like he deserves some of the blame. That's what being a leader is. Way it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. April: Our comments got deleted by blogger. I guess it's cause it was during that time blogger was all screwy. Just wanted to let you know I didn't delete them!

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?