Monday, February 7, 2011

Roundup

Yes another roundup, but the internet has been full of interesting posts lately.

Random Pic:

By Heather Freeman. Print can be bought here.
Some Links:

1. Why Is Egypt in Revolt (podcast)?


It looks like you don't have Adobe Flash Player installed. Get it now.


Interesting breakdown of some of the relevant history leading up to the protests in Egypt.

2. L.A. rape kit backlog cleared. According to the article, investigators missed deadlines to prosecute more than 200 potential cases because of the backlog and statue of the limitation laws, but this is still good news.

3. We fought a war on lies, and lies won
Despite his reputation as a tax slasher, Reagan raised taxes three times, and tripled the deficit during his eight years in office. Sadly, his working-class "Reagan Democrat" admirers don’t seem to remember that one of his tax hikes raised payroll taxes, which hurt poor and middle-class Americans and shielded the wealthy. The main reason he's remembered as a tax-cutter is because of what he did to tax rates for the uber-rich: He slashed the top rate from 70 percent to 28 percent, and income inequality has soared ever since, so that today, the top 1 percent of Americans controls a quarter of the nation's wealth, as opposed to 8 percent when Reagan became president.
4. Egyptian protesters' makeshift helmets – in pictures. Self explanatory.

5. Lawmaker's proposals have Utah gay rights community concerned. Not only does State Rep. Lavar Christensen want to define marriage in state law as existing between one man and one woman and supported by God, because the laws that already exist defining marriage as between one man and woman aren't strident enough it seems, but he also wants to make sure religious bigots have rights too. How completely unsurprising.

5. Is Providing Abortions Creating a "Nuisance"?
The first doctor to try to offer abortion services in Wichita, Kansas, since Dr. George Tiller was gunned down in a church in May 2009 has been blocked from doing so—by her landlord, who has claimed this would create a "nuisance." And groups opposed to abortion rights are hailing this development as a major win on a prominent frontline in the national war over abortion.
Random Videos:

A Transgender Vagina Talks Back:


Zach Wahls Speaks About Family:


This video made the rounds, but how could I not post it?

Democrats Need To Take a Stand:


Random quote:
“There’s the phrase ‘just a theory.’ Which shows you that I have failed. I’m a failure. When we have a theory in science, it’s the greatest thing you can have. Relativity is a theory, and people test it every which way. They test it and test it and test it. Gravity is a theory. People have landed spacecraft on the moon within a few feet of accuracy because we understand gravity so well. People make flu vaccinations that stop people from getting sick. Farmers raise crops with science; they hybridize them and make them better with every generation. That’s all evolution. Evolution is a theory, and it’s a theory that you can test. We’ve tested evolution in many ways. You can’t present good evidence that says evolution is not a fact.” -Bill Nye

7 comments:

  1. I like the Zack Wahls video. He's impassioned, but very lucid, and he makes some damn fine points.
    If gay people want to marry, who are we to stop them? Further more, why do we give this power to churches anyway? They have no horse in my race, why should they have a say in the outcome?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree. I think all marriages that are acknowledged by the government should be done through the court house actually.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do not understand how or why the church has anything to do with marriage anyway. You get your marriage license from your local government and there are officiants who can marry you who are not affiliated with any religion. And you can have a valid wedding ceremony that doesn't take place in a church. My wedding will have nothing to do with the church or any religion.

    I just don't understand how letting gays marry has any direct effect on anyone but the couple getting married. I have yet to hear a valid argument against gay marriage.

    I feel so passionate about the subject that Joe and I have agreed to not talk about it anymore. Whenever it gets brought up, I get furious with him.

    I can't wait to watch the vagina video when I get home. I can't hear it here at work very clearly. It looks like it's going to be great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just tried to see if I could hear the Zach Wahls video and I could. Let me tell you, that was the most amazing thing I think I've ever heard come from a 19 y/o. Seriously, this kid could run for president.

    ReplyDelete
  5. April: That's how I see it too. If churches aren't necessary then why do they have anything to do with it all?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Commenting late again! Anyway, great roundup, as always. I loved the Transgender Vagina Talks Back video. Interestingly enough, I had actually run into that somewhere on Tumblr the day before you posted it. Great minds read the same blogs perhaps? I love the other two videos as well, but I particularly liked that first one (I've been reading and thinking a lot about gender-identity stuff lately).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eve: I get a lot of my posts from tumblr so I don't doubt it. There is just so much good info! Same with Twitter.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?