|By Heather Freeman. Print can be bought here.|
1. Why Is Egypt in Revolt (podcast)?
It looks like you don't have Adobe Flash Player installed. Get it now.
Interesting breakdown of some of the relevant history leading up to the protests in Egypt.
2. L.A. rape kit backlog cleared. According to the article, investigators missed deadlines to prosecute more than 200 potential cases because of the backlog and statue of the limitation laws, but this is still good news.
3. We fought a war on lies, and lies won
Despite his reputation as a tax slasher, Reagan raised taxes three times, and tripled the deficit during his eight years in office. Sadly, his working-class "Reagan Democrat" admirers don’t seem to remember that one of his tax hikes raised payroll taxes, which hurt poor and middle-class Americans and shielded the wealthy. The main reason he's remembered as a tax-cutter is because of what he did to tax rates for the uber-rich: He slashed the top rate from 70 percent to 28 percent, and income inequality has soared ever since, so that today, the top 1 percent of Americans controls a quarter of the nation's wealth, as opposed to 8 percent when Reagan became president.4. Egyptian protesters' makeshift helmets – in pictures. Self explanatory.
5. Lawmaker's proposals have Utah gay rights community concerned. Not only does State Rep. Lavar Christensen want to define marriage in state law as existing between one man and one woman and supported by God, because the laws that already exist defining marriage as between one man and woman aren't strident enough it seems, but he also wants to make sure religious bigots have rights too. How completely unsurprising.
5. Is Providing Abortions Creating a "Nuisance"?
The first doctor to try to offer abortion services in Wichita, Kansas, since Dr. George Tiller was gunned down in a church in May 2009 has been blocked from doing so—by her landlord, who has claimed this would create a "nuisance." And groups opposed to abortion rights are hailing this development as a major win on a prominent frontline in the national war over abortion.Random Videos:
A Transgender Vagina Talks Back:
Zach Wahls Speaks About Family:
This video made the rounds, but how could I not post it?
Democrats Need To Take a Stand:
“There’s the phrase ‘just a theory.’ Which shows you that I have failed. I’m a failure. When we have a theory in science, it’s the greatest thing you can have. Relativity is a theory, and people test it every which way. They test it and test it and test it. Gravity is a theory. People have landed spacecraft on the moon within a few feet of accuracy because we understand gravity so well. People make flu vaccinations that stop people from getting sick. Farmers raise crops with science; they hybridize them and make them better with every generation. That’s all evolution. Evolution is a theory, and it’s a theory that you can test. We’ve tested evolution in many ways. You can’t present good evidence that says evolution is not a fact.” -Bill NyeTweet