Thursday, January 13, 2011

Why not regulate guns as seriously as toys?

I just read an interesting article by Green Change entitled "Why not regulate guns as seriously as toys?" I really liked the way the author seemed to have an even-handed approach to gun control and offers up real solutions to try and curb gun violence.

A snippet:
Bebe Gun Hold Up 1
By Jolynntech
Jared Loughner was considered too mentally unstable to attend community college. He was rejected by the Army. Yet buy a Glock handgun and a 33-round magazine? No problem.

To protect the public, we regulate cars and toys, medicines and mutual funds. So, simply as a public health matter, shouldn’t we take steps to reduce the toll from our domestic arms industry?

Look, I’m an Oregon farm boy who was given a .22 rifle for my 12th birthday. I still shoot occasionally when visiting the family farm, and I understand one appeal of guns: they’re fun.

It’s also true that city slickers sometimes exaggerate the risk of any one gun. The authors of Freakonomics noted that a home with a swimming pool is considerably more dangerous for small children than a home with a gun. They said that 1 child drowns annually for every 11,000 residential pools, but 1 child is shot dead for every 1 million-plus guns.

All that said, guns are far more deadly in America, not least because there are so many of them. There are about 85 guns per 100 people in the United States, and we are particularly awash in handguns.

(The only country I’ve seen that is more armed than America is Yemen. Near the town of Sadah, I dropped by a gun market where I was offered grenade launchers, machine guns, antitank mines, and even an anti-aircraft weapon. Yep, an N.R.A. dream! No pesky regulators. Just terrorism and a minor civil war.)

Just since the killings in Tucson, another 320 or so Americans have been killed by guns — anonymously, with barely a whisker of attention. By tomorrow it’ll be 400 deaths. Every day, about 80 people die from guns, and several times as many are injured.
Read the rest here.

4 comments:

  1. I think gun ownership is ingrained into the American mindset. We love our firearms.
    I believe some regulation might be OK. But, an outright ban will not work due to our gun loving mindset.


    It is interesting to note, Washington DC has one of the strongest gun control laws, yet has the highest gun crime rate.

    Clearly, guns can and will be found even if banned. Think how easily one can find illegal drugs? I don't use cocaine, but if I wanted, I could find it readily in any town in America.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, but I've never actually heard anyone realistically talk about an all out ban on guns. Things like requiring gun safes, limiting the amount of a guns a person can buy in a month, and banning the large bullet clips are practical I think. Would any gun owner actually think this was a violation of their rights (without trying to use the slippery slope argument)? I don't think the problem is in owning guns. (People here love their guns. You can even carry a concealed weapon on college campuses from what I was told.) I think the problem is in the way we fetishize guns.

    We weren't even allowed to buy a day and nighttime cough medicine because we're only allowed to buy one (with an i.d.) but people suffering from mental illnesses can buy a gun no problem? Something seems wrong about that to me.

    Though we could also take Chris Rock's advice and just make bullets cost $5,000 dollars. lol

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuX-nFmL0II

    ReplyDelete
  3. Toy gun is very popular toy for children. Most of them like this very much. They always like to play with it. I have a wab site. Anybody can find deferent kind of toy gun here. Everybody welcome to my Toy gun site.

    ReplyDelete

  4. I have enjoyed reading your post. It is well written. It looks like you spend a large amount of time and effort on your blog. I appreciate your effort. Please check out my site.
    toy machine guns

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?