Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Roundup Time

Here are just a few interesting things I've come across lately on the itnerwebs.

Random picture:


Articles/posts:

1. How You Shop When You Are Poor on tumblr really resonated with me.
And this is where I will lose a lot of people: Fresh fruits and vegetables aren’t next. “Fun” foods are. Whatever food is fun for you: snack cakes, chips, beer, tea, coffee, soda, string cheese. My mom wasn’t happy unless she had tea and ice cream in the house. Why does this take precedence over “virtuous” foods? Because poor people get tired of being fucking virtuous all the time. Because we don’t have the expendable income that middle class people do, to buy other things which comfort us like nice furniture, nice cars, electronics, trips to do fun things, etc. I may be inviting a lot of hate by admitting this, but sometimes when you’re poor, eating for entertainment is the only entertainment you can afford. If a dollar box of Twinkies makes you feel happy when the rest of your life is no fun, that is a dollar well spent. Sometimes my mom and I would spend $20 per trip on just junk food, but that was the only $20 we spent on anything frivolous the entire week/month/whatever. And by frivolous I mean anything other than bills and gas money. Again, living without this stuff makes you feel poor. Sometimes you need to have some small luxuries to feel human, and personally, my need to feel human is more important than my need for broccoli.
2. The Unbearable Whiteness of Pro-Lifers and Pundits is an interesting read about the comparison of abortion to slavery that some people make.
In that difference lies the racism implicit in the abortion/slavery analogy Santorum employs and Klein defends. The analogy necessarily holds that the enslaved were the equivalent of embryos--helpless, voiceless beings in need of saviors. In this view of American history, the saviors, much like the pro-life movement, are white.
3. Amnesty report condemns US death rates of women in childbirth which ranks us "41st in the WHO's league table of maternal mortality, with a risk of women dying in childbirth at one in 4,800."
The death rate of women giving birth in the US is worse than in 40 other countries, including nearly all the industrialised countries, Amnesty International said today in a report that describes the country's approach to maternity care as "disgraceful and scandalous".
4. Optimism About State Of The Country Hits Highest Point Since 2007 is simple and to the point.
Americans' brightening view on the country in general correlates nicely to a recent uptick in their confidence in the economy. A CNN poll released last week showed optimism about the economy inching up, while pessimism dropped to its lowest level since August 2008. Also, a recent Pew poll found that fewer people were hearing "mostly bad" economic news than at any time since December 2008, when Pew began polling the question.
5. Across the Universe’s Cover Racefail is about another case where a book cover has been whitewashed. I'm always interested by these situations for some reason.
...I can’t help but wonder what Razorbill was thinking: Was it that the boy on the previous cover wasn’t seen as handsome enough, as if a boy of color can’t be handsome? Didn’t anyone think it might be problematic to alter the identifying racial characteristics of the existing cover model, or to dangle an accurate cover in front of reviewers but not the teens who will ultimately buy it? Did anyone really think that a parent wouldn’t buy this book for their kid because the silhouette of a person of color is floating suggestively above the female lead? Why are we still catering to these really messed up, racist perspectives? Why did Razorbill throw Elder–the real Elder–out the airlock?!
6. Congress Passes Socialized Medicine and Mandates Health Insurance -In 1798 makes a case that the Tea Party is wrong to assuem the founding father would be against Health Care Reform.
The moral to the story is that the political right-wing has to stop pretending they have the blessings of the Founding Fathers as their excuse to oppose whatever this president has to offer. History makes it abundantly clear that they do not.
Videos:

Jon Stewart's 24 Hour Nazi Party People:


Teen Sex:



It is kind of hard to read all the graphics but you can see a large infograph version of it here.

Hip Hop vs. America (Misogyny):


This video is one of the most thought provoking videos I've seen in a while. The correlation of the black church and the portrayal of women in hip hop is something I never thought about. And who wouldn't love a man who seriously uses the phrase "ecclesiastical hoes?" Dyson is the man.

3 comments:

  1. The How to Shop When You Are Poor article fascinated me when I read it. I never really thought about how I shop, but I'll be damned if it didn't explain me to a T.

    I wish people would stop comparing things to slavery, especially wealthy white men who are the last group of people to have any clue about what it was like to be a slave. I feel like slavery and the holocaust are two things that should not be compared to other things unless those things are slavery and genocide.

    The fact that we rank 41st in terms of maternal mortality is just awful. And how we rank in terms of infant mortality rate is just as bad. (Wikipedia tells me 46th in 2009 according to the CIA World Factbook). But you know, there is nothing wrong with our healthcare system, right republicans? Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heart your whole comment and I agree especially with the idea that the Holocaust and slavery shouldn't be used so readily by people just to make a point (same with rape).

    You'd also think pro-lifers would concern themselves with the infant mortality rate, but I guess that'd make too much sense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heart everything in this roundup. Seriously, you always post the best stuff! I particularly liked Hip Hop vs. America (Misogyny). I want to watch more of that! I plan on showing it to my boyfriend, since I think he'll get a lot out of it (he's a fan of some rap and hip hop, but not a fan of the misogyny found in many popular examples of the genre).

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?