Monday, December 13, 2010

Atheism: In Your Words

TheThinkingAtheist asked viewers "about their own experiences regarding atheism" and I thought the video was actually kind of interesting (though the music is a bit silly):


I'm not into the "we prayed but god didn't answer" argument since it seems silly and kind of egotistical, but I think it's interesting how many people had similar experiences. I think a lot of atheists can relate to that realization that they haven't been theist for a long time, or maybe never truly was, but hadn't really known it or put words to those feelings. I also really liked the comment about not looking for atheism but finding it naturally when no other answers emerged. And while I don't really like the idea that atheists should have to explain why they're atheists, I think it's an interesting way to educate some people.

3 comments:

  1. I don't like the idea of anyone having to explain their personal religious or non-religious beliefs, but such is human curiosity. We just need to know how things work, particularly things that aren't considered normal or traditional. I've had strong leanings towards being agnostic for 5 or 6 years now and I'm slowly becoming more comfortable with that. It's a huge change from being very, very religious and Christian.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I agree it's usually just curiosity. It just feels strange when people expect me to give them an answer for why I'm an atheist when they don't feel the need to do the same. But I agree more information is always a good thing.

    And good for you! I've heard a little about your religious upbringing and I can't imagine what it's be like to make a change like that. I was raised agnostic so I never felt any sort of pressure to be theist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, it is silly to have to explain it.

    But,
    "Religion just does not make sense", is the quick answer.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?