Friday, November 5, 2010

Another Roundup

Politics is making me angry. I have the embarrassing urge to punch people in the face and I can't find it in me to post anything. As always, I will resort to pilfering other people's genius for my own entertainment. Enjoy.

First of all, if you're as annoyed with it all as I am then bow down to the power of the sea otter. Adorable aren't they?

Sea otters hold hands when they sleep, so they don’t drift away from each other.

Now for some links:

1. Could the Courts Outlaw the Minimum Wage?:
For some time now, conservatives have been railing against the supposed "judicial activism" of liberal judges. Now, they are starting to change course and argue for a new kind of judicial activism — one that would strip away the rights of workers and protect corporations' constitutional right to fatter profits.
2. Nancy Pelosi, undone by her own success:
Pelosi did what was right for the country, and what's right isn't always what's popular. Democrats may decide they need a less-polarizing figure as minority leader; if they do, well, that's politics. But I'd love to see her stay in the Democratic leadership - and I'm betting that eventually she'd find a way to take back the gavel that she pounds with such righteous authority.
3. I linked to this on my facebook and twitter, but it deserves a place here as well.

My son is gay:
If you think that me allowing my son to be a female character for Halloween is somehow going to ‘make’ him gay then you are an idiot. Firstly, what a ridiculous concept. Secondly, if my son is gay, OK. I will love him no less. Thirdly, I am not worried that your son will grow up to be an actual ninja so back off.
4. Pundit sloth: Blaming the left:
But for slothful pundits who want to derive sweeping meaning from individual races in order to blame the Left and claim that last night was a repudiation of liberalism, the far more rational conclusion -- given the eradication of 50% of the Blue Dog caucus -- is that the worst possible choice Democrats can make is to run as GOP-replicating corporatists devoted above all else to serving corporate interests in order to perpetuate their own power: what Washington calls "centrists" and "conservative Democrats." That is who bore the bulk of the brunt of last night's Democratic bloodbath -- not liberals.
5. This is old, but I just love it. Someone linked to it in a post and I had to share it.

Jon Stewart on Crossfire :


6. Best sign ever:


7. America’s Millions of Disenfranchised, Largely Black Voters:
Since black men are incarcerated at a far higher rate than the national average, they are also denied the right to vote at a far higher rate—seven times the national average; 1.4 million African-American men have lost their voting rights, according to the Sentencing Project.
8. Voters Nationwide Decide Marijuana Law Reform Measures:
Commenting on the vote, NORML Deputy Director Paul Armentano said that marijuana legalization is no longer a matter of ‘if,’ but a matter of ‘when.’

“Social change doesn’t happen overnight, and in this case we are advocating for the repeal of a criminal policy that has existed for over 70 years federally and for nearly 100 years in California,” he said. “We are taking on the establishment and those who have vested interests in maintaining this longstanding failed policy. Yet, despite these odds, we have momentum and an unparalleled coalition of supporters – from law enforcement personnel, to civil rights groups, to organized labor, to lawyers, clergy, and public health professionals. In just a few short months, this campaign moved public opinion forward nationally, and led to the signing of historic legislation here in California that will end the arrest and prosecution of tens of thousands of minor marijuana offenders.”
9. I love this quote from George Carlin:
“Listen. There are 200 countries in the world now. Do these people honestly think that God is sitting around picking out his favorites? Why would he do that? Why would God have a favorite country? And why would it be America out of all the countries? Because you have the most money? Because he likes our National Anthem? Maybe it’s because he heard we have 18 delicious flavors of Classic Rice-A-Roni! It’s delusional thinking! And America is not alone with this sort of delusions. Military cemeteries around the world are packed with brainwashed dead soldiers who were convinced God was on their side. America prays for God to destroy our enemies. Our enemies pray for God to destroy us. Somebody’s gonna be disappointed. Somebody’s wasting their fucking time. Could it be everyone?”
 Finally, this anuses me to no end:


3 comments:

  1. Awwww, those sea otters are the cutest animals EVER!!!! Their little hands...too damn cute!

    Yesterday, I read the post of the mom whose son dressed up as Daphne for Halloween. GOOD FOR HER!!! I love how people think they can tell you what you should and shouldn't let your kids do. Now, I do believe that children should have boundaries and discipline, but I would NEVER tell someone that they're not raising their kids correctly. All I can do is raise MY child the best way I know how.

    Oh, tangent, back on track......my son is all about the skater look. He wears skinny jeans, graphic tees, studded belts, studded bracelets, and a fake tapered looking earring. I brought him to my office and the doctor picked apart his outfit and told him that he shouldn't be wearing what he was wearing. The next day the doc asked, "What did Ethan say about what I said to him?" I told him, "He didn't say anything. I've told him that I want him to freely express himself the way he likes as long as he's not being offensive. Nothing he was wearing was offensive and it's a style he feels comfortable in. What you said to him went in one ear and out the other." The doc shook his head and walked away.

    I know that mom's issue falls more under societal pressure for gender conformity than my issue does; but the point I was making is that a lot of people feel the need to tell you or your child what they think is or isn't appropriate. When really? More people need to mind their own damn business and STFU!

    /rant

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally know what you mean. Breastfeeding is another thing that everyone thinks is their business. People need to pay closer attention to their own lives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and good for you. People like that drive me crazy.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?