Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Judge orders military to stop enforcing don't ask, don't tell

It only an injunction, but I think it's still pretty great.

From CNN:
A federal judge ordered that the U.S. military stop enforcing the don't ask, don't tell policy on Tuesday.

Judge Virginia Phillips ordered the military "immediately to suspend and discontinue any investigation, or discharge, separation, or other proceeding, that may have been commenced under the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell"." The judge had previously ruled that the policy regarding gays serving in the military violated service members Fifth Amendment rights but delayed issuing the injunction. The military was sued by Log Cabin Republicans, a gay rights group.

An appeal by the Department of Justice is anticipated.
I think this song is pretty appropriate:

Cheers!

3 comments:

  1. I remember being questioned about my sexual orientation when I entered the Army, way back 100 years ago.

    Don't Ask Don't Tell was a landmark decision in it's day. The spirt of equality was there, if not the material of it - races were integrated before the general US population accpted it, women have been treated as equals (in ranking) for quite a while.

    I always thought the military was on the front edge of most civil rights issues - races were integrated we before the general US population, women have had equal ranking for a while.

    It is supposed to be a great Meritocracy whereby people are judged and prooted based on their abilities and performance - nothing more.

    It's time to accept the same rights and treatments should be granted to homosexuals as is heterosexuals.

    What's the fear? Are gay folks that scary? Are they afraid they'll catch it?

    It is exactly shit like this that showed me I was NOT ever going to be a carreer soldier. I just couldn't stand the fact that morons had that much control over my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this laptop is weird. It takes things and puts them wherever it sees fit.

    I'm sorry if the above comment seems out of place.

    But, I meant it, so I'll leave it there :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, I think your comment was great! Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?