Monday, October 11, 2010

Eminem on 60 Minutes

I think there is something seriously wrong with me when it comes to homework (and quite a few other things but I don't want to bore you). I could have done my homework yesterday, but that would have made just too much damn sense wouldn't it? Instead I decided to spend the last few hours trying to cram it all in and now I have no time for other things. Like blogging. You know, the really important stuff. So I apologize that my blog has been lacking a bit, but keep in mind I'm taking Math, Physics, English, Political Science, and International Literature. In other words, please pity me.

I really want to talk about how Eminem seems to evoke a certain amount of anger in people that other rappers don't always elicit, but I don't really have the time. I can say that I think Jezebel dropped the ball once again and turned what could of been a genuine conversation about race and misogyny in hip hop into another excuse to make cheap jokes. We all know Eminem is an asshole, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have a point. Also, white people are allowed to talk about their race as well. I know we like to turn us pigmently challenged into some monolithic group, but that doesn't mean white people don't have anything to contribute to race conversations.


While I wouldn't go as far to say Eminem was "attacked" because of his race, I do think he brings up a point that deserves a more thoughtful response. There is no denying that Eminem has been singled out time and time again. This isn't to say that no other hip hop artists have ever been criticized (way to make a straw man argument Jezebel), but Eminem is like the Marylin Manson of hip hop. Is it because of his race? Is it because a lot of his fans are white and society is more concerned with white teenagers than black? Is it because he's just really popular? I don't think there is no denying that white people are more comfortable calling out other white people then they are people of color. It could be any of these reasons or a combination of all of them and jokes about having a baby out of wedlock just isn't cutting it for me.

I'm going to look for some more articles and posts that talk about this thing, but I don't have the time right now (off to shower and cook dinner before class). I do want to leave you with this comment though that really resonated with me.

BossLadie:
I know this might not be popular but I took a Rap, Hip Hop and Feminism course this summer and there is a book called "Hip Hop Feminism" and the author states that she feels misogynist lyrics in a black artists song aren't going to be criticized as harshly as a white artist. The author states it is because most feminism is a 'white' thing and that white feminists aren't comfortable calling out a black artist and so they leave it to the black feminist. She then states that black feminists (mostly) don't do anything because black women are brought up to defend their brothers. These are NOT my statements, just what the author had to say. It was either Gwen Pough or Joan Morgan who wrote it, I don't have the article with me. It was a very interesting class, though.
Definitely interesting to think about. Any thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. I've always been kind of fascinated by Eminem. Not in the "I like bad boys" sense, but in that I think there is something deeper in him, and that he is the perfect personification of how we expect men to "act like men" and the toll it takes on them. That probably doesn't make any sense whatever. LOL

    Anyway, whatever you think of the man, there is no denying that he is extremely talented in his genre.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?