Thursday, September 23, 2010

Katy Perry on Sesame Street

I wasn't going to comment on the whole "Katy Perry: Too Revealing for Sesame Street?" brouhaha, but I think a lot of people are missing the bigger implications here. While I think the regulation of women's bodies is a serious concern, in this situation I'm having a hard time defending Perry. It really has nothing to do with her breasts at all, but rather the context of it all.

Here's the video:


I want to say upfront that I don't think boobs are the issue here. Kids definitely see cleavage on a regular basis. And even though I'd like to know who the hell decided this was the right dress for this occasion, in the end it doesn't really matter.

My issue with this whole thing is the way Kay Perry is acting childlike while wearing sexy clothing. (It's the very same thing that bothered me about the episode of America’s Next Top Model where grown ass women dressed up as children in some perverse attempt to make children more childlike and innocent.) So the issue has nothing to do with the boobs at all. It has to do with the need to make a fully developed woman act in a childlike manner and emulate the behavior of a little girl, by playing dress up and tag, while still being dressed in a sexualized manner. To me, this type if thing fetishizes youth and young girls and I think that's creepy as all hell.

Do you see the difference?

It isn't the cleavage alone that is bothersome to me. I just find it a bit hypocritical to talk about the sexualization of young girls and then support the sexualized image of a woman, who is trying to appear like a child, on a show specifically targeting young children. These two things don't make much sense to me.

Of course in the end I still don't see what all the outrage is about. My son definitely sees more cleavage than this anytime I'm in the room. I just don't feel the need to jump to Perry's defense since I do think there are some worrisome elements to this story that people are ignoring. Trying to pass this whole thing off as some puritanical witch-hunt against cleavage is disingenuous to say the least.

8 comments:

  1. Plus, this whole situation is bringing more attention to this video anyways so I doubt Perry is too heartbroken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like she's wearing something like Tinkerbell from Peter Pan. And that furry guy isn't wearing any pants... omg!!! Don't tell the FCC.

    After seeing Katy Perry squirt whipped cream from cans attached to her breasts, I've become a fan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL I'm not a fan at all actually.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw absolutely nothing wrong in this video.
    of course, I grew up watchin Xuxa, so my judgement is suspect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have a problem with the video either. i just think it's disingenuous try and reduce this conversation to simply cleavage.

    Plus, I worked in day care and there is no way in hell I could have worn that to work so I'm having a hard time being too outraged over this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry but it's Sesame. Please don't take offense because that's what I'm doing for work these days - and YOU are always welcome to throw corrections my way. Also, I have nothing against Katy Perry, but I happen to hate every one of her songs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no worries! Thanks for pointing out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought Katy Perry did an ample job on SNL.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?