Monday, September 6, 2010

Cee Lo Green's "Fuck You"

Did everyone see the parody of Cee Lo Green's "Fuck You?" If not here are both videos:



'Clearly Obsessed' by Whitney Avalon:



I totally get that Whitney may not have intended for her song be considered an interpretation of Cee Lo's, but I got to say I don't really get the stalker thing (and in the videos description she says, "I wanted to pretend to respond to the song's allegations from the woman's perspective"). And maybe I'm just being difficult since I love the original so much, but I'm really not feeling this parody. (In case you didn't know, the original "Fuck You" video looks similar to the way Whitney's parody is done. I love the video above more though so I included it instead.) There is just something about it that annoys me.

I also don't get why people are so upset about the gold digger thing. Guess what? Some people are gold diggers. If Cee Lo was claiming all women were gold diggers then maybe I'd get the anger, but since he doesn't I don't really feel the need to sharpen the claws. If anything "Fuck You" is just about a person who is angry about recently being slighted by someone they love. I'm sure most people can relate to that and I think it is possible to project too much sometimes.

Then again, music is personal and interpret it as you will.

2 comments:

  1. THAT SONG HAS BEEN ON REPEAT FOR THREE DAYS DUDE!

    if you want a female perspective on the song, you should just go on over to Lily Allan's own "Fuck You." Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree. Nice try Whitney, but no.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?