Friday, August 6, 2010

Love the Way You Lie

I love this video. While some videos can actually take away from a song, this one only adds to it I think.


I love the fact that Eminem and Rihanna aren't the couple in the video and it helps dispel the notion that this song is meant to make domestic violence glamorous. I think anytime someone tries to show the world in anything other then black and white in art it is often misconstrued and that's the case here. Relationships with domestic violence aren't as simple as we often like to think they are. Even though all violence is wrong, the emotions and feelings in these relationships are not so simple. Instead of showing a faceless man abusing an innocent frail looking woman, this video represents something much more honest in my opinion by showing a mutually abusive relationship. I know there's been some talk of Eminem glamorizing domestic abuse, but I don't agree at all (and think that's actually kind of silly considering the was domestic violence is portrayed in the media all the freggin time).

I must admit I've always had a soft spot for Eminem. I know some of his songs are pretty atrocious, but others I just adore. He lyrics are often surprisingly honest and captivating. I would never try to defend someone going on about murdering their wife, but I just accept the contradictions that run rampant in our lives and try not to think too hard about it.

Either way, this song made me feel instead of just superficially watching. And really I think that's the point.

2 comments:

  1. I KNEW you were going to write about this. Is that weird?

    It's such a good song, though. I don't get why everyone thinks Megan Fox sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha maybe I'm just too predictable. Or maybe you're psychic. What am I thinking right now?

    Fox used to annoy the hell out of me because of some stupid things she kept saying (but a lot of people are stupid so I don't get the hate either), but after watching Jennifer's Body I love her. (That movie totally blindsided me with it's awesomeness.) She's so great in this video too and I love the part a little after 3 minutes when she's looking at Dominic and her face subtly changes. It's great.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?