Friday, July 9, 2010

Art and Washing the Bad Taste Out of My Mouth

I don't know what it is about today, but vile people are getting to me more then usual. So I'm gonna talk about something that makes me happy - creating things.

Some of you may know that I like to paint. (I refuse to call myself an artist because there is just something pretentious about it I think.) For me, being creative is part of who I am as a person and I am almost always in the middle of making something. I tend to go through phases where I paint or craft or scrapbook, but I almost never stop completely making things. In fact, I can't even understand how some people aren't creative. It just seems weird to me.

When I was younger I used to draw and color a lot. I also got really big on making collages and have always altered my clothes. For a while, I did let life get in the way and I stopped making things for the most part. What really got me back into the grove of things was getting pregnant and getting fired. With all the extra time on my hands I started scrapbooking Holden's baby book and never looked back. After I moved to Utah I decided I wanted to start painting. My first attempts are pretty appalling to me now, but I slowly got better.

I am so embarrassed to post this, but this is my first painting (sorry the picture is really bad as well):

l_d57228528310cf99fb871a3b28ce4a74

Seriously, you can't even imagine how bad I want to delete this photo. The things I do for you people.

Lately I've started to feel like I'm starting to come into my own though. It took me a while to accept that I don't need to worry about doing things the "right" way in order to feel validated in what I make.

IMG_5554

I decided to make this picture for the daughter of one of Ryan's friends and coworkers:

IMG_4796

I wasn't sure how it would be received, but they ended up loving it. Ashley, Abby's mom, liked it so much she took it to work in fact. Now I've been commissioned by a lovely woman to make some pictures for her. I've only finished the first one (out of four), but I can't explain the complete elation I felt to know someone out there is willing to actually pay for me to do what I love.

IMG_6383

So maybe I'll never be able to support myself with the random picture, but it sure did make my day. I had convinced myself long ago that I just don't have what it takes to earn any money by creating things. And while I definitely still feel like a fraud some of the time, other times I'm just proud. And infinitely happy.

6 comments:

  1. Just writing this made me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are awesome, Alana! You have a definite talent for creating things (I still have the card you sent me in December and I'm actually going to put it in my scrapbook).

    Crativity is a big deal for me, too, whether I'm scrapbooking, making music, or doing something crafty. Even photography. One of my favorite parts of any day trip I make is coming home and seeing my pictures on the big screen of my computer (as opposed to the tiny LCD screen of my camera).

    Creativity = Happiness. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. just reading it made me happy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meg: Thank you! I have been trying to look at photography as more of a creative outlet as well. For me, taking pictures has always felt more like a documentary then anything creative, but I've been trying to change that. And I LOVE getting my pictures printed. I have so many photo albums it's ridiculous, but I cant help myself!

    mac: I'm glad to hear that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, pictures can be art! I love looking for creative ways to frame a shot. I have a shot of the London Eye that I'm so proud of, because I got it with a tree sort of framing the wheel. It's hard to describe--I'll just have to post it on my blog. : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I totally agree. I meant that it's hard for me to think of my own photography as an art medium. I've seen some of the most amazing and creative pictures and I would love to be able to do that. I think I take decent pictures, but I am hoping to get more creative. Maybe it's something that will come naturally once I have more practice though.

    I look forward to seeing your shot!

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?