Sunday, July 25, 2010

Americans Are Progressive On Most Issues

Last night I found myself in the presence of someone just awful and I'm still kind of pissed about it. Even worse then the fact this particular person found it necessary to make a sexist comment every chance he got and referred to President Obama as "that n*gger," was the fact he was also a cop and suffered from serious alpha male issues. Every conversation he felt the need to try and reassert his "manliness" and dominate all of those around him. It was horrible and has made me kind of stabby today.

This video is a good reminder the world isn't only filled with thoughtless jerks though:


I think I'm going to look into the polls he mentions in this video and maybe do a few posts about them. The fact there are often large discrepancies between what people actually believe and how the media portrays those views is particularly interesting to me. I'm also interested in the ways Americans aren't progressive.

4 comments:

  1. Also, if all a person has to talk about is sex then I've learned they probably aren't very interesting. That's not to say I don't enjoy a good dick joke as much as anyone else. There's a huge difference in being a generally pervy person and attempting to bring every line of conversation back to you and your vagina/penis. Blatant sexual innuendos, an interesting person they do not make. If all I had to talk about was badminton, people would probably think I was pretty boring. I know we like to think sex is infinitely more interesting, but in practical terms it isn't. How I survived tearing out all my hair I'll never know.

    Ok, I'm done bitching I swear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my only dealbreakers in terms of who I date is that I won't date cops. If I find out that someone is a cop, I'm done. People always wonder why. And while this is a generalization, and there are good cops out there, I find the majority to be chauvanistic, misogynistic men on power trips, and inferiority complexes. They're also statistically one of the most abusive professions, which makes sense. Abuse is a bout power and control; think about the kind of person that wants to be a cop: someone that craves power and control over others.

    So, yeah... That was my massive generalization for the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I'm a bit of a perv, but I am no racist. Nor do I talk in sexual terms ALL the time. No, I sleep from time to time ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha no worries. I was still kind of pissed when I wrote this. This chick was just annoying to no end. She just kept saying the stupidest things (like women with small breasts are gross) and something about her rubbed me the wrong way from the beginning.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?