Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Host Your Own Template Images

I just want to point out that the reason my blog looked wonky yesterday was because I wasn't hosting the images for my template myself. If you're using one of the basic templates that comes from blogger then I don't think this is a problem, but if, like me, you are using a different template then you will definitely want to do so.

See when I first uploaded my template I made the changes I wanted to make and then left it at that. But when the image for my header wasn't coming up for some reason, I realized I probably shouldn't have been so quick to pat myself on the back. Luckily for me, free blogger template includes all of the needed images in the zip file so all I had to do was upload the folder to my own photobucket acount. After replacing each image url with my own photobucket url everything worked perfectly. If the images hadn't been included in the zip file (which I had to re-download so I'd now recommend always keeping a file just in case) I would have been completely screwed.

So learn from my mistakes. Always keep your blog template safe by hosting the images yourself. If they aren't included in a folder in your zip file then you can always open each url individually and save it onto your computer that way. Yes it's a pain in the ass, but at least you won't have to worry about losing your template just because someone decided to move their blog from blogspot.com to .com.

Did that make sense? You can find a more concise explanation here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?