Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Obama and Habeas Corpus for Detainees

I am just less and less impressed with President Obama. Don't get me wrong, he's a really impressive dude and I am constantly amazed at how much I like him whenever I hear him speak. (It's actually kind of annoying since I find some of his administration's policies pretty atrocious.) But the thing is, I want a real progressive in the White House. Not someone who is just a little more to the left than Mitt Romney.

Case and point:

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Once again President Obama is supporting, and even furthering, Bush secrecy abuses. I'd like to say I'm shocked, but at this point I'm finding it hard to even muster up the energy to be anything more then annoyed.

From Gleen Greenwald:
So congratulations to the United States and Barack Obama for winning the power to abduct people anywhere in the world and then imprison them for as long as they want with no judicial review of any kind.
It should be pointed out that this ruling would not apply in cases where the detainee is picked up inside the United States (small miracles right?). What I find most irritating about this thing is the silence on both sides. Where are the "limited-government" teabaggers at now? (Though I think it's pretty obvious by now that I don't believe conservatives actually want limit-government in any genuine way.) Where are the liberals that were so outraged by Bush? At this point I'd even take some Libertarians.

Further reading:
Obama Upholds Detainee Policy in Afghanistan
Obama wins the right to detain people with no habeas review
Why It's Important to Note that Obama is NOT Liberal or Progressive

Edit: I want to add that I am not completely unhappy with President Obama. I just think we should all be critical of the people we elect. There's pretty much nothing Obama can do that would convince me to vote for a Republican though and I'm starting to think that's part of the problem with our two party system.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so over the man crush I had on Obama since 2004. I'm through thinking our two party system is anything other than a smoke screen for the shadow rule of corporations. I'm through believing I live in a democracy. I'm living under fascist rule. I'm, I'm, I'm, I'm... no, make that we are living under fascist rule. Yeah, I know I vote like I'm in a democracy. But look at the policy we enact. Sad but true, our government serves the corporations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The thing that really burns my ass was that Bush established these guys were NOT POWs. As such, they are exempt from the rules of The Geneva Convention. Then, we deny them Habeas Corpus?

    That pretty much makes us monsters, right? We lock humans in a cage with ZERO recourse to the law. How else could we be seen?

    Interesting, to me, is the recent release of the hikers by Iran. Yeah, we were rightiously indignant about that shit...BUT, what are we doing in Begram and Gitmo?

    AND, Obama is ging along with the policies of bush? That just reinforces my belief that politicians, on a national level, do as they are told :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with both of you and it can be seriously depressing to think about. What's worse is most people don't even care. That gets to me the most I think.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?