Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The O’Brien and Leno Brouhaha

Last night Jay Leno spoke more frankly about the situation at NBC than any of the other late night hosts so far in my opinion.



Now don't get me wrong, Leno is obviously deflecting blame here. None of us are actually gullible enough to believe that the only reason Leno is willing to go back to his 11:30 time slot is so his staff can retain a job.

But that doesn’t mean that what he’s saying doesn’t have merit. I love Coco as much as the next person, but it’s silly of us to expect Leno to work against his own self interest for the benefit of Conan. We’re talking about two grown ass men, who also happen to be multimillionaires, who will find work quicker than I will. This is not the end of the world.

I guess the reason I’m posting this is because I’m tired of all the Leno hate that’s been going around and I have a hard time believing that Jimmy Kimmel and David Letterman are so very concerned with Conan’s well being. It’s much more likely that this situation is just an excuse for everyone to shit all over Leno and I don’t think that necessarily fair. Do I think Conan could have gone much further and established better ratings if he had been given the time to grow into his new position out from under the shadow of Leno? Yes I do. But none of that means that Leno is at fault for all these dumb ass decisions by NBC.

Anyhoo, you can read a really great article about the whole situation here (reading it totally changed my outlook on the whole situation).

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?