Monday, January 11, 2010

100 things we didn't know last year

I'm one of those people who loves lists of random information. I can't help but get excited when I learn elephants are the only mammals that can't jump or that nutmeg is poisonous if injected intravenously. The thrill of learning something new and silly just does me in.

So, color me happy when I stumbled across the BBC's "100 things we didn't know last year" post.

Some of my favs:
-Using both hands to read Braille achieves an average speed of 115 words a minute, compared with 250 words a minute for sighted reading.

-Paraskavedekatriaphobia is the fear of Friday the 13th.

-A broken heart is known as Takotsubo cardiomyopathy and it can be cured.

-Parts of cremated bodies are recycled.

-Paper can be made from wombat excrement.

-Britain had animal welfare laws before it had child welfare laws.

-French babies cry with an accent.
So if you like useless information as much as I do, check it out.

1 comment:

What's on your mind?