Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Roundup

I am sick yet again and I think a roundup is far overdue.

Random Picture:


I am also loving this pic (NSFW).

Random Stuff:

1. "On teaching me to slow down" is cute and funny.

2. "It's not the White Christmas House" By Christopher Hitchens.

I myself repose no faith in any man-made text or made-man redeemer, so when it's Christmas I say "Merry Christmas" with a clear conscience, as I respect Ramadan and Passover, and also because "Happy Holidays" is so thin and insipid. I don't mind if Christians honor the moment by displaying, and singing about, reindeer (a hard species to find in the greater Jerusalem/Bethlehem area). Same for the pine and fir trees that also don't grow in Palestine. I wish everybody joy of it.

3. I thought "Why Are Europeans White" was super interesting.

From the link:

And so, humans adapt very quickly to solar UV. Prehistoric groups that migrated towards the equator got darker. Prehistoric groups that migrated away from the equator got lighter.
But this explanation fails for Europe. Northern Europeans are lighter than everyone to the south (Mediterraneans), to the east (Mongols and east-Asians), to the west (Native Americans across the Atlantic), and to the North (Inuit, Sammi, Chukchi, Aleut)

Clearly, there once was a factor at work in Europe other than dim sunlight.

4. A risque church billboard showing the Virgin Mary and Joseph in bed apparently after having disappointing sex has caused outrage among Christians in New Zealand.


Song/video:

I really wanted to put a clip from Countdown with Keith Olbermann here about a Costco in Utah that kept tomatoes off of the shelves during a Sara Palin book signing in case anyone tried to throw them at her, but I couldn’t find it.

I guess a little Tina will just have to do:



Thumbs Up:

1. Mexico City Legalizes Gay Marriage

2. Annise Parker made history Saturday as Houston's first openly gay mayor.

The Middle Finger:

1. "UK fails to halt female genital mutilation."

2. Chuck Norris thinks Mary might have aborted Jesus Christ Under “ObamaCare.” I’m just not one of those Chuck Norris fans and it’s worth noting that abortion was practiced at the time Jesus lived, but he never spoke out against it.

3. "It is not part of anyone’s culture to be abused" is sad and fucked up.

4. "Military Abortion Ban: Female Soldiers Not Protected by Constitution They Defend" is another depressign read, but I highly recommend reading it.

Favorite quote from the link:

At Amy’s request, she was sent home from Iraq, after a military psychiatrist determined that she was “too psychologically unstable” to remain, and diagnosed her with acute anxiety, PTSD, and depression. “They convinced themselves that anyone who would do a self-abortion is crazy,” Amy says. “It’s not a crazy thing. It’s something that rational, thinking women do when they have no options.”
So sad.

Political Cartoon:



This is exactly how I feel about the situation.

Quote/Thought that makes me happy:

In short, we must face problems which do not lend themselves to easy or quick or permanent solutions. And we must face the fact that the United States is neither omnipotent nor omniscient, that we are only six percent of the world's population, that we cannot impose our will upon the other ninety-four percent of mankind, that we cannot right every wrong or reverse each adversity, and that therefore there cannot be an American solution to every world problem. -JFK
Something you probably don’t know about me:

I never dry myself off properly when I get out of the shower so my clothes tend to be damp for a while. It drives Ryan bonkers for some reason but I could care less.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?