Monday, December 14, 2009

I am crushing on Manohla Dargis

Seriously, this interview of Manohla Dargis (movie critic for the New York Times) is one of the best things I've read over at Jezebel in quite a while. It was just so refreshingly honest and candid.
On why so many romantic comedies are so terrible: One, the people making them have no fucking taste, two, they're morons, three they're insulting panderers who think they're making movies for the great unwashed and that's what they want. I love romantic movies. I absolutely do. But I literally don't know what's happening. I think it's depressing that Judd Apatow makes the best romantic comedies and they're about men. All power to Apatow, but he's taken and repurposed one of the few genres historically made for women. ….We had so few [genres] that were made specifically for the female audience and now the best of them are being made by Judd Apatow. But what are his movies supposed to be about? Nominally about the relationship between a man and a woman, but they're really buddy flicks. Funny People was supposed to have an important role for a woman, but she was uninteresting and an afterthought.
The entire atricle was great and I definitely recommend checking it out if you haven't read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?