Tuesday, October 13, 2009

In which our heroine bitches about her classmates

I’m posting this for completely selfish reasons. In my Film and Culture class we had to watch Angels in America for the last two classes (it’s six hours long). As with every movie, we then have to write a brief summary of how we felt about the movie and blah blah blah.



This is what one person wrote:
With as many viruses as there are in this movie (AIDS, Virus of Time, going blind being the Virus of Prophesy) I was surprised they didn’t take a page from The Matrix and talk about the Virus of Humanity. They sure hinted at it. Was that one of the metaphors?

If Belize is that unhappy living in America, as many are, maybe they should MOVE. That’s the beauty of a free country that so many people complain about. We are allowed to leave, even to revoke our own citizenship, without fear of being criminalized. I’ve had a number of people tell me that Canada is better, Norway and Sweden are better, anywhere in Europe is better. I tell them, Go! When I decided that Utah was a terrible place to live and that Tennessee, and later Nevada, was a much better place to live, I moved. I went to the better places. Trouble is, I found out that it had nothing to do with Utah, but with me. It sure seems like many people don’t understand that it’s not the place someone live that makes them happy or unhappy. It’s themselves. And I really wish more people would either figure that out or move to the place that will make them “happy.” At the very least, I wouldn’t have to hear them complain any more. And if Heaven is as Belize describes to Roy, San Francesco-like, I’ll take Hell.

The only real metaphor that I picked up on was the Republican beating up on the Gay Man. Of course, that one was crammed pretty hard throughout the movie.
Roy Cohn, the most EVIL man in America…
Ronald Reagan in the White House…
Ooh my God, He’s MORMON???...
Yeah, yeah, yeah, we get it. Republicans and conservative people are bad, Democrats and liberals are good. The whole thing gets tiring after a while. Especially when it’s so one sided. Sure, there are Republicans who bash Democrats, but the scale is so much smaller. We hear so much from the Democrats about “tolerance,” “diversity” and “charity,” and very little about that stuff from the Republicans. Yet most of the bashing comes from the Democrats. Preach tolerance, then bash the other guy? Do as I say, not as I do? That doesn’t work very well. Any parent will agree.

There’s no way to force these wonderful ideas either. Can we force tolerance by making it a Hate Crime to call someone a bad name while beating them up? Yeah, that works (eyeroll). Lawyers NEVER plea bargain with junk like that. Some states have Hate Crime laws and some don’t. So what? Assault is STILL a crime. What happens if I beat up a person and call them “fag” if their straight? Is that a hate crime? What happens if I beat up a gay person, but call them “jerk?” Is that a hate crime? What happens if I beat up a straight conservative white male with blond hair. Is that a hate crime? Maybe it is, as I have dark hair. Or do I have to call him “Blondie” as I’m beating him to qualify as a hate crime? Where does it stop? So many people want special treatment because they belong to some “special protected class,” that pretty soon EVERYONE will be a protected class of people. Then everyone will be back to being equal. Ooh, Crap! Everyone equal? We can’t have that!

How about forcing diversity? We talked about that during American History X. Is someone a racist if they have friends who are white, black, oriental, but not latino? Oh, man! I’m a racist. How about if they have friends who are Christian and Muslim, but not Jewish or Hindi? Wow, I’m in so much trouble. I wish we could do something cool like judge people based on the content of their character rather than on the color of their skin. Holy Cow! Someone better call the Thought Police on me! Lets not forget that within the great diversity movement, group identification – be it racial, gender based, or some other minority status – means more that the individual’s integrity, character or other qualifications.

Forced Charity? That one we can do! Take everyone’s paycheck, give them medical care, give them food and water, give them a house, and give what’s left over to someone who doesn’t get a paycheck! People who have a ton of kids get big houses, no matter how much money they make. People whose children have grown up and moved out get the small houses, no matter how much money they make. Take from each person what they are able to give and give to each person what they need. Yeah, I think that will work!

Here’s a thought. STOP FOCUSING ON THE DIFFERENCES! Don’t worry about it. Short, tall, black, white, ugly, pretty, fat, skinny, gay, straight, man, woman, bald, hairy, bikini, one-piece, pink, green, plaid, who cares?????? Try “Person.”

Roy Cohn said “My generation had clarity.” That’s pretty profound. There was clarity in the forties and fifties. People knew what right and wrong were all about. People were ashamed when they did something wrong. A teacher saying “I’m going to tell your parents” instilled fear in a student and generally got them to straighten out. Now that statement is a case of “Good luck.” And if that didn’t work, the principal with the two-by-four nearly always did. Funny how there were never any school shootings back then when children were “abused” for doing wrong. Strange coincidence.

The whole thing just seems to be one REALLY LONG “Me Good, You Bad.” I’m just glad it’s over.

Yes mister white man, please tell us about diversity and racial acceptance. However would we learn to love one another without your guidance? All crime is done out of hate? Haha you’re so funny. I wonder why no one ever thought of that before…

Seriously, when will white people figure out it’s not their place to tell people of color how to feel? This post is so full of this man’s privilege it’s coated my tongue and left the bitter taste of self righteousness in the back of my throat.

And wtf is up with him using the term “oriental?”

All crime is done out of hate? This is a common straw man argument against hate crime legislation and it says something deeply ignorant about a person in my opinion. Crime may not be done out of love, but that doesn’t mean it’s equal to the terrorization of an entire group of people based of their race, gender, sexual orientation, etc. Because that’s what a hate crime is.

This kind of nonchalant attitude about what Hate Crimes truly are and his insistence that all we need is to stop looking at the differences highlights this guy’s racial privilege. The 50s had clarity? Give me a break. Yes, beating children and segregation we’re brilliant ideas.

But who cares when you can buy a Ford?

I’m also tired of people always claiming you should move out of the country if you’re not happy here. You know what? Fuck you. We can bitch about any thing we want to. Complaining about things while doing nothing to change them is practically the American way.

Then again, maybe it’s all that crazy liberal propaganda I’ve been brainwashed into believing.

Sorry if you didn’t get half of this, but I needed to rant. And if you haven’t seen Angels in America do so. It’s great.

1 comment:

  1. What happens if I beat up a straight conservative white male with blond hair. Is that a hate crime?

    Well, if you're beating him up becuase he's straight, then yes, it is. Douche.

    And "oriental" is one of my biggest pet peeves. It's so politically incorrect, yet I've had to explain to my grandma, father, and Master recently WHY that is not an acceptable word to use.

    And I agree. Angels in America *is* brilliant.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?