Friday, October 30, 2009

Halloween is my favoritest

I can not explain how happy I am that this week is over. I was bogged down by school work like nobody’s business. Knowing its Halloween tomorrow feels like a reward for all work I’ve been doing and it makes me just that much more excited.

Have I rambled on about how much I love Halloween yet? I don’t think I have which is a bit shocking considering Halloween is by far my favoritest holiday of the bunch. It’s like the one day a year where the world is how I’d want it to be if I were in charge.

This year I’ve decided to dress up as a ventriloquist dummy (after I saw this tutorial I just knew I had to). I’m still putting the finishing touches on a tutu I made, but so far everything is looking good.

So, in the spirit of Halloween I thought I’d share a few projects that I’ve bookmarked for future projects.

First is this pumpkin I saw in the Food Network magazine:


Isn't it the greatest? We're gonna carve pumpkins tonight with Holden for the first time and I'm looking forward to it (though he'll probably just paint his).

Then there are these crafts I just love:


First off, I think I'm addicted to glitter. I've just been obsessed with it since I discovered it in middle school (I'm talking about cosmetic glitter here). My friends and I would just pour it in our hand and blow it all over each other. And even though I've moved past that, I still get excited whenever I see something sparkly.

So naturally I loved this centerpiece tutorial by Eddie Ross. (There's just something about glitter covered skulls that makes my heart pitter patter.)

I was also really inspired by these eyeball cupcakes by megpi. Instead of cupcakes I'm gonna make cake balls, but I just love the creepy awesomeness of the cupcakes.

Then there is this tutorial for a Michael Jackson jacket. I was so excited to see this because I've been wanting a jacket like this hard core. I just knew there had to be a way to make one myself, but I wasn't too sure how to go about it. This tutorial is so easy though that I'm glad I put off buying one of these jackets (seriously, all you need is a jacket, metallic frogs, and metallic braind). I plan on making mine black on black, but the options are pretty much endless.

I also wanted to include this tutorial for a Halloween brooch based on a Marquis & Camus pin (pictured). I love the idea and I think this would make a kick ass necklace as well.

So that's it. I hope everyone has a great Halloween! If you're interested in any other Halloween crafts you can find tons here.

-Oh and if you're interested in making your own tutu you can find excellent directions here. It's so easy there is no reason not to (plus tulle is cheap). Even if you're not the tutu wearing type, you could use it as a petticoat and wear it under a plain dress to jazz it up.

2 comments:

  1. Ugh. I hate Halloween! Here's why: I'm not a dresser-upper, my ass doesn't need anymore candy, and I'm such a scrooge: I can't stand the parade of door-knocking kids screaming "trick or treat" at me expecting a sugary reward.

    Bah humbug!

    Seriously, it's a pagan holiday that's been perverted into a commercial blitzkrieg (just like most of our other holidays).

    But....I don't begrudge anyone else enjoying it. So have fun! If you take pix of yourself in your costume, be sure to post them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're funny. lol

    We forgot to buy candy and had to put a "no candy" sign on our door. We totally felt like scrooges.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?