Sunday, October 4, 2009

Folio submissions

My school sent out an email letting people know that they had until tomorrow to turn in submissions for the school's literary magazine Folio.



As usual I didn't read the email til the last minute and now I'm not sure if I should submit anything.

I'm posting two poems here and I feel a bit exposed so I'm giving the "read more" jump break a try. So follow the jump if you're interested.

continue reading...

The main problem is none of my artwork looks nice in black and white. The only picture that looks half way decent is my Survival Mural piece and there is no way I'm submitting that.

I could send in some poetry though. I haven't written anything in quite a while, but these have always been two of my favorites:

So Much to Touch

I miss the roughness of your hands
Against the softness of my skin
And the sweet and salty taste
Of your passion on my lips

The way that just one look
Can pierce the darkest levels of my soul
You treat me like a beggar
Leave me writhing on the floor

Make a map of trials across my body
With your fingernails and teeth
Just a little bit more pressure
The hurt brings me to my peak

You pull tight back on my hair
When you are ready to receive
The beast I have within me
Is fed with your release

Your facial hair across my stomach
Sends shivers down my spine
I wish I could consume you
In these moments you are mine

So press yourself against me
Put some fire in my void
Remind me why I let you
Treat me like a soiled toy


When You Know You Shouldn't

How did I let it get to this place
Gentle whispers in my ear
I knew right away by the look on his face
The tightening grip of fear
I knew it was wrong, yet still let it happen
Fingertips caressing my thigh
I couldn't control the wave of passion
I let out a yearning sigh
I want him so badly I burn deep inside
Gentle kisses on my neck
He demands every inch of my pride
The lustful scene is set
I try to say no, but can’t seem to speak
My heart starts to pound
I’m overwhelmed as we come to our peak
My clothes scattered on the ground
All my thoughts are blurry and slow
Our passion has come to and end
In creeps regret and I know I must go
I lay still in his bed
There’s a quick goodbye, not even a hug
I find myself at the door
This is getting old and I’m too tired to run
I long for something more
All feelings of lust undone
I’m hollow to the core

The problem, of course, is that I'm worried they're not good enough. I know it shouldn't be such a big deal, but I have a hard time sharing my poems. They're infinitely more personal than any art I make and I just worry about it. (I'm even more nervous than I was when I sent in a piece to an erotic zine here in Salt Lake. Go figure.) I think it's made worse by the fact that almost everyone has given poetry writing a try and yet only some are actually good at it.

I guess this is just one of those things where you hit the "send" button quickly and exhale loudly.

We'll see how it goes...

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?