Monday, September 28, 2009

Whoopi and "rape-rape"

This makes me so angry. I usually love Whoopi but this segment is so much bullshit I don't even know where to start.



What. The. Fuck.

I really hope Whoopi lets us know what "rape-rape" is. (Besides that it's not when a 44 year old man drugs and forces himself on a 13 year old girl.)

Personally, I don't think it really can be more "rape-rape" after reading this statement from the victim:
"It was not consensual sex by any means. I said no, repeatedly, but he wouldn't take no for an answer. I was alone and I didn't know what to do."
I don't know about you, but that pretty much sums it up for me. And that's not even taking into account the fact the victim was only thirteen at the time.

It's a sad day when it has to be pointed out that you cannot "have sex" with a child.

Danny Leigh summed up the situation rather nicely:
"If you sense that a liking for barely teenage girls is being spun as mere hedonism, you're not alone. (And it's a tactic that seems to be applied to girls far more than boys - would D'Arcy describe Michael Jackson's best known accuser as "the sexy 13-year-old Jordie Chandler"?). Ugly as it is, the post does highlight the eternal conundrum of whether and to what extent our feelings towards a film-maker are coloured by their personal failings."

While I think Whoopi was probably trying to talk about legal terms and all that hoopla, it doesn't change the fact that she blatantly downplayed the rape of a child on national television. If anything, it seemed she, along with co-host Melissa Gilbert, were more critical of the victim's mother than the middle aged man who gave alcohol and drugs to a child before orally and anally raping her.

I don't really know what else to say.

-You can read Jezebel's great post here.

1 comment:

What's on your mind?