Friday, September 4, 2009

Lance Cpl. Joshua Bernard

I just read the story about Lance Cpl. Joshua Bernard’s death and the decision of AP to distribute a photo of Bernard after he “suffered leg injuries.” Most of the brouhaha about this story comes from the fact that the family does not want the pictures shown/published and AP has decided to go about it anyways.

What to think?

Well, there’s really no easy answer for this one. I feel for the family and I think it’s sad the father thinks this image is somehow disrespectful of his son's memory. At the same time, I’ve never had to have the news of my sons death followed by photos of it so does what I think even matter?

But at the same time, what about these images?







And these are just the tip of the iceburg.

I just don't know. It seems like sometimes we don't get to choose where the word takes us or what fate has in store for us.

But I do have to say that this story has done nothing but pique my interest.

1 comment:

  1. i, like you, don't really know how i feel. i can see both sides of the argument, but until you're in it what would you do?

    honestly, i find it pretty gross that we live in a world (and kinda always have) where not even death is private.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?