Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Intellectual Freedom

I must have conveniently forgotten that school actually takes work, cause I didn't expect to be so busy. I realize now I was being silly, but I just didn’t think of all the other things I’d have to give up in order to make the time to actually get shit done.

And I still need to find a damn job. I can’t believe it’s almost the end of the year and I’m still out of work. It’s ridiculous.


Anyways, since I’m a bit obsessed with not fucking up in school this time I haven’t had as much time to do things like blog. Honestly, there’s just nothing that can be done about that and I know I’m not the only one since a lot of the blogs I read seem to be in a similar situation.

Plus, politics has been ridiculously boring and repetitive lately. I’m so freggin tired of hearing about what a bunch of idiots the republicans are and what a group of pansies the democrats are that I can’t even find the energy to give a shit about health care anymore. It’s too freggin draining to actually care about something so political.


I’m really gonna try to get on my game and start spreading my work out (amazing concept I know) but knowing me I’ll do good for a week or two and then resort back to my procrastinating ways. It’s a sickness I tell you.

I did want to share the American Library Association’s (ALA) Banned Books Week with anyone who hasn’t heard about it though since it starts on Saturday.

From their website:

Banned Books Week (BBW) is an annual event celebrating the freedom to read and the importance of the First Amendment. Held during the last week of September, Banned Books Week highlights the benefits of free and open access to information while drawing attention to the harms of censorship by spotlighting actual or attempted bannings of books across the United States.

Intellectual freedom—the freedom to access information and express ideas, even if the information and ideas might be considered unorthodox or unpopular—provides the foundation for Banned Books Week. BBW stresses the importance of ensuring the availability of unorthodox or unpopular viewpoints for all who wish to read and access them.

The books featured during Banned Books Week have been targets of attempted bannings. Fortunately, while some books were banned or restricted, in a majority of cases the books were not banned, all thanks to the efforts of librarians, teachers, booksellers, and members of the community to retain the books in the library collections.

I am all about banned books. I like to keep lists of books that were banned, especially for sexual or religious reasons, so I can remember to read them (Margaret Bald's a good place to start). There's just something about reading a book that once so controversial that makes me feel like I'm giving the establishment the finger.

How very punk rock of me.

From the 2008/2009 list I’m thinking about reading: The perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky, Brave New World by Aldous Huxley, Wicked by Gregory Maguire, King and King by Linda de Haan, and Girl, Interrupted by Susanna Kaysen.

I've been meaning to read Brave New World and Wicked for a while anyways and I love the idea of a children's story where the king marries another king.


You can find out more here and a list of banned and challenged books here.

Now I'm off to write a paper about why I think men are more comfortable with their genitals than women and if I think the media has a part in it. Fun time.

2 comments:

  1. The high school I used to teach at does a big thing for Banned Book Week. Teachers can volunteer to wear a "bib" (a laminated picture of the book's cover on a long piece of yarn) around their neck for the week. One year I wore Harry Potter, and another year I wore "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings."

    Maya Angelou banned?! HORRIFYING!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so cool. My school didn't do anything at all.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?