Wednesday, September 9, 2009

I Love Space

Have I ever told you guys that?

I know it sounds corny when you say it like that, but I really do. Almost every time I watch t.v. I look to see if something about space is on (which isn’t all that often coincidentally).

I’ve watched The Big Bang two hour special on the History Channel at least five times. I just love it.

So when I came across these new images from the refurbished Hubble Telescope I thought I would share:


From NASA:
What resemble dainty butterfly wings are actually roiling cauldrons of gas heated to more than 36,000 degrees Fahrenheit. A dying star that was once about five times the mass of the Sun is at the center of this fury. It has ejected its envelope of gases and is now unleashing a stream of ultraviolet radiation that is making the cast-off material glow.


From NASA:
This image of barred spiral galaxy NGC 6217 is the first image of a celestial object taken with the newly repaired Advanced Camera for Surveys (ACS) aboard the Hubble Space Telescope.

This isn't a new picture, but it's one of my favs:


Hubble Snaps a Splendid Planetary Nebula - The gaseous outer layers of a Sun-like star glow in space after being expelled as the star reached the end of its life.

Aren't they just awesome?

You can see more Hubble images here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?