Sunday, August 9, 2009

Warbreaker and Wildwood Dancing

I know I’ve been talking about books more than usual lately, but I just can’t help it. Considering the fact I read about 4 books a week, books make up an important part of my life and reading is really the only thing that can rival my love of politics.

So when a book impresses me, I’m really impressed.

Warbreaker, by Brandon Sanderson, and Wildwood Dancing, by Juliet Marillier, are two such books.



I can't really do these books justice with simple summaries, but you can read excellent reviews here and here.

What I love about Warbreaker is the original world and idea Sanderson created. Even though Warbreaker is considered science fiction, it has enough fantasy aspects to give the plot a nice balance.

And at almost 600 pages, the book is hefty enough to keep me entertained for…well, only about two days I’m ashamed to say.

With Wildwood Dancing, it was all about the lush prose and rich descriptions of enchanted dancing. As I've said before, I love new twists on classic fairy tales, and Marllier definitely delivers with her creative re-working of The Twelve Dancing Princesses story.

Marllier is fast on her way to becoming one of my all time favorite authors.

So if you're looking for any books to read then definitely give these a try. I’ve been reading a lot of YA books for the last few weeks since The Book Smugglers are having a Young Adult Appreciation month and these two books are by far some of the best I've read.

And if you ever have any book suggestions I'm all ears. I like pretty much all speculative fiction and am always up for a good book. (My Goodreads page can be found here.)

2 comments:

  1. we have something in common. i consume books with the same speed.

    600 pages has me entertained for about the same amount of time, maybe less.

    when i search for books i do tend to search for good authors or plots, but mostly i search for heft. i don't want to spend my money on a book i'll finish in a day.

    library cards are awesome to have! i heart mine, for sure!

    one of these days i'll throw in a few suggestions, but lately i've been reading all PCOS-related books and insulin-resistance related books. lol. not good suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to your suggestion! :)

    I think that’s why I read so many series books. Even though I like knowing there’s an actual ending at the end of the story, when I find a new series I love I know I’ll get more enjoyment time out of it.

    Libraries are so awesome. Luckily, the Salt Lake City library is freggin HUGE and they have a pretty diverse selection. Now I only tend to buy the books they don’t carry since their numerous enough to keep my personal library growing. lol

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?