Friday, August 28, 2009

More rape in books

I just finished reading Thorn Queen and I have to say I’m a little pissed off. Not because the book was bad or the story unoriginal, but because -surprise surprise- the hero of the book is raped.

Seriously, can we have a fucking book without a person being raped in it?

I talked about my hesitance regarding books with rape scenes before, but what was once a mildly irritating thing has now become a full on piss me off to no end thing to read.

I’m just tired of it.

Have authors ever thought that maybe rape victims don’t want to relieve some of the most traumatic experiences of their life ever time they sit down for some easy reading? And I’m fucking tired of watching authors use rape as a tool to make decisions easier for characters (which I definitely felt happened in this book).

Look, I know what it’s like to hate a person more than you ever thought you were possible to hate a person. And wrose, knowing that all that anger isn’t even because they hurt you, but because they made you hate yourself when you know you shouldn’t. Ok, I know. I do.

But that doesn’t rationalize torturing or killing other people. To read story after story where a person is raped and is then vindicated by going on a murderous rampage only belittles the trauma they went through in my opinion. Even a book like Tender Morsels, that handles rape and incest in one of the most thoughtful and respectful ways I’ve ever seen, not only rapes the rapist with a sense of sanctimoniousness about it all, but also expects the readers to find humor in the situation.

I can’t believe I have to say this, but rape is never okay (no matter how despicable the person is or how you feel about them).

Then, I read people saying that the author was right to rape their character because the character needed it for the personal growth. Really? Personal. Fucking. Growth. That’s what we’re calling it now?

I’m not stupid either; I realize I’m getting way more upset over this than most people would probably expect. I just don’t understand why author’s feel it’s so necessary (especially with authors as talented as Richelle Mead). I'm not even exaggerating when I say that almost every other book I read nowadays seems to have rape in it.

If I want to read stories about rape, I’ll read non-fiction books on the rape culture or memoirs from the real victims of sexual abuse. Not some random fantasy book I liked the cover of.

I'm now off to read Joe Ambercrombie's Best Served Cold. Hopefully it will be rape free. Otherwise, it just might be time I found a new genre.

2 comments:

  1. Wait--when did Richelle Mead write about rape????? DON'T TELL ME IT WAS IN THE NEW VAMPIRE ACADEMY--PLEASE DON'T TELL ME!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, it was in Thorn Queen.

    Unfortunately, I haven’t got the chance to read the new vampire academy yet. Hopefully I’ll pick it up this Tuesday with Catching Fire. :)

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?