Monday, August 17, 2009

The Hangover and Mike Tyson

I post about rape and sexual assault kind of regularly. As I’ve said before, I do so because it’s important. The more of us who talk openly about these things and question the status quo, the more we can help change the prevalence of rape acceptance and victim blaming in our society.

That being said, I don’t understand why so many people are up in arms about the Mike Tyson cameo in the recent movie The Hangover. (I want to admit up front I haven’t seen the movie, but I don’t think it’s actually necessary for this issue in particular.)

The issue here, at least with some people, is that Mike Tyson is a convicted rapist.

So of course this means the movie must be propagating rape acceptance and trying to convince us that rapists are nice people who deserve a second shot. Why don’t we take it one step further and just blame this movie for the degradation of all women ever? That way we can just save time all around.

I just don’t see why this is such a big deal. I’m not trying to be a pain in the ass or condescending, I really just don’t get it. Are convicted rapists, who actually spent time in prison, never allowed to show their faces in public again? Are they allowed no room for remorse or compassion? I guess I just have a hard time crucifying a person over one fucked up decision in his/her life (and if you think that means I have sympathy for rapists than you haven’t been paying attention). Shouldn’t we be more concerned about all the rapists out there who have never been convicted?

Because if Mike Tyson is the only person on television or in the movies to have raped a person I’ll eat my hat.

It just seems like Mike Tyson is an easy target here and some people are heaping blame on him he may not fully deserve to me. His prior history isn’t even brought up in the film (it would be different if they made his assualt part of a punch line or something like that).

Am I missing some huge point here that is so obvious no one’s felt the need to fully describe why his cameo in the movie is so upsetting? For some reason I doubt that.

-Mike Tyson’s Comeback [feministe]
-Congratulations, The Hangover [
Shakesville]

1 comment:

  1. I'm on your side. Casting a convicted rapist in a movie doesn't promote rape acceptance and isn't making apologies for rape.

    Convicted rapists get hired at all kinds of jobs and go about their daily lives all the time.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?