Saturday, August 22, 2009

Clocks and Peacock Feathers

I love when I feel creative.

I don’t know how other people’s creativity works, but mine definitely wanes and flows. Even though there’s a part of me that’s always looking at things from a creative point of view, there are times in my life when I just don’t feel like making anything. And I learned long ago that I shouldn’t do it if my heart’s not in it (this is why it can take me forever to finish a picture).

There’s just something about having paint splattered arms and dried glue on my fingers that makes me feel most like myself though.

Anyways, my point is that I’ve been feeling really motivated lately. I think it has to do with the fact I’m starting school again and I no longer feel like I’m just taking up space in the universe. (That came out way more cynical than I intended.) Either way, it seems every where I look there are things to inspire me.

First there was this gorgeous picture in the Anthropologie catalogue:



I really like clocks and the layering of browns got me thinking of how I could incorporate something similar into a painting. (Plus, I want that bed. Like really really want it. Too bad I don’t have five grand to waste. I wouldn’t be surprised if I find myself attaching branches all over a cheap Ikea canopy frame bed and spray painting the sucker black one day though.)


This is just a work in progress (so don’t judge too harshly) but I think I’m on to something.

Then I saw this bad ass hair clip at Topsy Turvy Design:



Isn't it lovely? At $23 dollars it's really reasonably priced, but I knew I could make my own so I gave it a shot today:




Not bad right? I got to admit the clip is kind of huge, but I think it will look really nice clipped in the back.

All in all, not a bad way to spend a Saturday. (Now I just got to finish up some of the other pictures I started forever ago and just never got to…)

2 comments:

  1. My writing works like your art. It ebbs and flows. You may have noticed that it's been ebbing lately.

    And I very much want that hair clip. It is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are beautiful, Alana! That hair clip is marvelous, and though I avoid large statement accessories (because I'm 5'2" and easily overpowered by large things), I would totally rock that on my hair. Maybe even perch it like a little hat.

    Britni--I ebb and flow, too. But lately, I've been trying to post something every day, just to keep at it!

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?