Sunday, July 5, 2009

Sunday Roundup

Nothing like a hangover and the smell of gun powder on the air to let you know yesterday was a holiday.

Random Picture:



This has to be one of the most awesome pictures of all time. There is just so much win going on in this photo, I don't even know where to begin.

(It turns out the person who owns it bought it at a garage sell from a guy who had stolen it when he worked at a photo lab. Even better.)

Articles You Should Read:

1. Darly Hannah: Why I Was Arrested in Coal River, West Virginia

2. The Online Class Divide is a look into how the politics of class play out online in regards to Facebook vs. Myspace. It was surprisingly interesting.

3. Who Ends Up Dead By Gun? This is a post visualizing crime data and it's super interesting.

Song/video:



Thumbs Up:

1. The Delhi High Court decriminalized consensual gay sex. They ruled that treating consensual gay sex between adults as a crime is a violation of fundamental rights protected by India's Constitution. It's only binding in New Delhi, but this ruling is the first of its kind in India and a great start.

2. Al Franken. Enough said.

3. More U.S. Prisons are offering to hold GITMO detainees. It makes me so happy to know that some people still have faith in our prison system and capabilities to hold suspects.

People Who Get the Middle Finger:

1. The Montana Pro Life Coalition has submitted three proposed constitutional initiatives for the 2010 ballot that would define embryos and fetuses as persons with rights (which would obviously ban abortion in Montana).

Even though they're unlikely to get these initiatives passed (or held up in court if they somehow do), these people piss me off. If you're unsure why this is such a bad idea - which I doubt since you're reading this - you can read a previous post about this very thing here.

Special STFU Shout Out of the week:

I just loved what Colin Powell had to say about the treatment of Sotomayor in the media and how the Republican party is not helping itself win and minority votes in the near future.
"If you look at the results of the election last fall, and make a judgment on the basis of how the party did with respect to the Hispanic vote and the African-American vote, realizing that President Obama, candidate Obama had a significant advantage with those constituencies, we haven't done well enough," he said. "And when you have non-elected officials, such as we have in our party, who immediately shout racism, or somebody who is quite prominent in the media says that the only basis upon which I could possibly have supported Obama was because he was black and I was black, even though I laid out my judgment on the candidates, then we still have a problem."
The fact people would rather rally behind Limbaugh then this guy boggles the mind.

Quote/Thought that makes me happy:
I actually saw this quote on a post over at Jezebel and I just loved it:
One of the best pieces of feminist advice I've ever gotten is not to insult my own body in front of others. It perpetuates the idea that women should hate our bodies — that our inevitable physical flaws are worth valuable brain-space and conversational time.
I totally agree. There's another quote that says something along the lines of, "Never talk about yourself in public. If you talk yourself up, people won't believe you, but if you talk yourself down, people will." I live by that. (The first step was learning how to accept a compliment without turning it into a way to put myself down.)

Something you probably don’t know about me:

I have a weird ear issue. Sometimes I feel like my ears are dirty and have to be cleaned right that second. I also don't like them being touched and if Ryan accidentally breathes too heavy near my ear I freak out a little bit. I have no idea why.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?