Wednesday, July 29, 2009

"The Land Where Rapists Go Free"

I just read a really moving post over at feministing about a series by Marianne Pearl for Glamour Magazine called the "Global Diaries."

Pearl usually focuses on a problem that strongly affects women and then profiles a woman who is trying to make a difference. In "The Land Where Rapists Go Free," Pearl highlights the disproportionate rate of rape among Native American woman and the low number of prosecutions for those rapes.

It's always heartbreaking to hear how women's bodies are used as vehicles of fear, but to be confronted with the fact my own country is doing nothing for these women is infuriating.

Red tape and juristiction confusion is not an excuse to ignore the rapes of these women.

Reading the article brought the scene "Crooked Braid" from the Vagina Monologues to the forefront of my mind. I can't even begin to explain how moving this scene was. I found this video, but nothing can do it justice the way seeing it live does:



(The only scene more heart wrenching than this one is "My Vagina Was My Village." The line, "I became a river of poison and pus" will stay with me forever.)

So check out the article by Pearl. Information and education is the only way we'll ever change this sort of atrocious mindset. The link to feministing is also interesting because it also talks about the prevalence of rape in Native Alaskan tribes as well.

Edit: The video seems to be having some problems. If you can't see it, here is the link.

2 comments:

  1. Pearl's articles for Glamour were very good--moving, informative, and inspiring. I wish she was still doing them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always pleasantly surprised when I find articles like these in magazines. If only there were more I could rationalize starting to buy them again. lol

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?