Thursday, July 30, 2009

I hate the neighbor’s kids

I know that’s not a nice thing to say, but I don’t really care.

I always imagined having a houseful of kids after I had Holden. I’m of the mindset that it’s better to have him hang out with his friends here, where I can watch him, rather then be at his friend’s house. Like everything surrounding parenting, I had no idea the reality would be nothing like the quiet group of boys I envisioned in my mind.

Not that I still don’t prefer him to be here (since he’s only three going to his friends house alone is still out of the question), I just didn’t realize what a pain in the ass it would be to have other people’s kids in my house.

Especially when they don’t listen to me at all.

If I could, I wouldn’t let them come over at all. They’ve taught him bad habits and he whines a lot more now, but the truth is they’re all we’ve got. I just don’t know anyone with children out here (ironically all my friends back home have children). Maybe if we went to church it would be easier to meet young parents with children around Holden’s age (there’s definitely no shortage of young parents in Utah), but there’s no way in hell that’s gonna happen. So, I have to just deal with the yelling and fighting and messes and be satisfied with venting about it on the internet.

Surprisingly, that just doesn’t bring me the measure of satisfaction I was hoping for.

2 comments:

  1. Very funny...and familiar. I have 3 kids, and I adore them all, but I really can't stand other people's kids. Seems like no one teaches their kids manners anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't survive three kids. Let alone three kids friends! lol

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?