Monday, July 27, 2009

Elle Macpherson STFU

I found this interview of Elle Macpherson over at Jezebel and I thought it’s ridiculousness called for it to be posted here.

Though I thought her comments on plus size women were a bit naive, these particular answers were just special:

Are you a feminist?

I'm somebody who truly honours femininity. And I believe in individuality, and uniqueness, and that's all I'm going to say on that.

But you shy away from the word "feminism"?

It's one of those coined phrases that has a lot of innuendo and not much meaning these days. There's a stereotypical perception that a feminist is somebody who believes in equal rights for men and women. Well, I believe men and women are different and they have different needs, therefore the concept of equal rights doesn't really sit with me in many ways

My brain doesn’t really know how to respond. I don’t know if I should laugh or cry at the inanity of a woman who owns her own business telling us that feminism has little meaning these days.

First, feminism has nothing to do with “femininity.” Her even saying that comment shows her ignorance. Also, feminism isn’t the “stereotypical perception” that men and women should have equal rights. That’s what it is.

And that's what makes it beautiful.

Second, why is the fact that men and women are different mean that we can’t have equal rights? I may not be able to lift a car engine, but Ryan will never push a giant headed baby out of his vagina. Does that mean one of us should be denied the same rights as the other?

The idea that since men and women are inherently different, they can never be equal is as old an idea as it is unimaginative. Feminism isn’t about making men and women equal. It’s about working for the idea that both sexes should be treated equally through the eyes of the law and the values of society. It's about fighting for the idea that men and women should be able to do whatever they want with their lives, no matter what anatomy they happen to been born with.

It's about empowerment.

To hear a woman who is a classic example of why women are just as capable of men spew this tired old drivel is disheartening and disrespectful to the women who have dedicated their lives to making sure women like Macpherson could be in the position she’s in today.

1 comment:

  1. My brain just exploded. We have different needs and therefore should not have equal rights? "I believe in femininity"??? WTF is that horseshit?

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?