Sunday, June 28, 2009

Sunday Roundup

I hope everyone's having a good Sunday.

I've got to admit I'm a little giddy because I just found out some crazy Kool aid drinking conservative whack job talked about my post, The Abortion Debate, on his blog. Even though I never said "forced-childbirth barbarians" it still makes me feel like I'm doing something right.

I mean, he actually used the words "feminist totalitarianism" and quotes Anne Coulter for Christ's sake. Though totalitarian feminist does have a special ring to it...

Random Picture:



Articles You Should Read:

1. Death by Bipartisanship

2. Banished Employee, Others Speak Out Against Abercrombie's Awfulness

3. Media Playground: Obama Calls on HuffPost, Michael Calderone Pouts, Ben Smith Calls Us Names, Dana Milbank Gets His Facts All Wrong. I know the title is ridiculously long, but I just loved reading Arianna Huffington give these boys a bitch slap. It was awesome.

4. Note to President Obama: Want to Fix the Schools? Look to Portugal!

Song/video:



Way to get people to see you as a competent thinker Meghan.

Thumbs Up:

1. A new, trans-inclusive version of the Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA) was introduced in the House Wed. by Barney Frank. Finger's crossed.

2. New measures aimed at reducing prison rapes are in the works. It's estimated that about 60,000 inmates are sexually abused each year so i couldn't be happier. Rape should never be part of a persons punishment.

People Who Get the Middle Finger:

1. Hundreds of formerly Episcopal parishes are meeting this week to unify as a new national church: the Anglican Church in North America. The catch? The group is scheduled to adopt church laws that will exclude women and homosexuals as bishops. Fuck You Angelican Church in North America.

2. Richard Nixon told a staffer that abortions were necessary in some situations. You know, like "when you have a black and a white." WOW.

3. Sorry Conservative MLA Doug Elniski, but the special STFU of the week was already taken. You're just gonna have to settle for the middle finger for telling students at their middle school graduation that, "Ladies, always smile when you walk into a room, there is nothing a man wants less than a woman scowling because he thinks he is going to get s--t for something and has no idea what."

Thanks Elniski. However would these young girls have made it in the world without your sage advice?

Special STFU of the week:

I don't think it could go to anyone but State Rep. Cynthia Davis (R-MO). In a her June newsletter she had the audacity to claim that childhood "hunger can be a positive motivator."
Who’s buying dinner? Who is getting paid to serve the meal? Churches and other non-profits can do this at no cost to the taxpayer if it is warranted. [...] Bigger governmental programs take away our connectedness to the human family, our brotherhood and our need for one another. [...] Anyone under 18 can be eligible? Can’t they get a job during the summer by the time they are 16? Hunger can be a positive motivator. What is wrong with the idea of getting a job so you can get better meals? Tip: If you work for McDonald’s, they will feed you for free during your break. [...] It really is all about increasing government spending, which means an increase in taxes for us to buy more free lunches and breakfasts.

As The Platform pointed out, a lot of the churches that provide meals are funded by the U.S. Department of Agriculture and last year "3.7 million meals were served by the summer feeding program at a total cost of less than $9.5 million."

I don't know about you, but that sounds like a great use of tax payer money. In fact, I think we should use the money that would go towards Davis' salary to feed even more children.

Olbermann sums it up nicely in his special way:



"Starving her brain..." Oh how I love you Olbermann.

Quote/Thought that makes me happy:
Here's to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels, the troublemakers, the round pegs in the square holes... the ones who see things differently -- they're not fond of rules... You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them, but the only thing you can't do is ignore them because they change things... they push the human race forward, and while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius, because the ones who are crazy enough to think that they can change the world, are the ones who do. - Steve Jobs
There has never been another quote that has resonated more deeply with the core of my being more than this one. Cheesy but true.

Something you probably don’t know about me:

I'm left handed. So is President Obama. What can I say? We're both awesome. :)

4 comments:

  1. I remember when i got my first right winger moaning on my site it was great!! So to be quoted is a huge step up, your moving in the right direction.

    On Meghan McCain, dont be to harsh on her, she is still finding her feet, she might one day be a *cough* good republican!!

    oh and as i have said before Olbermann is a god!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no doubts she’ll be a good republican. I just think she needs to learn a bit more before she tries to act like some sort of pundit. I mean, Begala wasn’t even being mean and she acted like a wounded teenager. And I didn’t see Katty Kay bemoaning her blondeness.

    But I also thought Maher coddled her when he didn’t need to.

    I do like her somewhat though. I'm not trying to be harsh. She just irritates me sometimes. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. like her i dont know why but i do. I think she is as far as Republicans go, understanding of the mess they are in. She is more liberal than most it seems too.

    plus she is pretty and i like her for that too, way better than palin lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. At first I really liked her, but then I realized she’s not actually saying much when she speaks. I still think she’s a breath of fresh air, but I’m now skeptical she actually has much to offer in terms of direction or new ideas.

    And yes, she is pretty. But I have to admit I think Palin is good looking as well. There’s just something about that sexy librarian look that does it for me. lol

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?