Sunday, June 14, 2009

Sunday Roundup

This has been an eventful week.

Random Picture:

I found this in the "groups" section of the Salt Lake Craigslist:



You may need to click on the image to be able to read the text but it says, "Looking to for people interested in joining me on weekends for ninja training and and other such things..."

I think me and this person should be friends.

Articles You Should Read:

1. Milwaukee Group Seeks Fiery Alternative to Materials Challenge. I can't believe these people.

2. Why I Love Guns. Watch out Meghan. Your privilege is showing.

3. The Rockstar Energy Drink/Michael Savage Connection. Loved it.

4. DHS Report Warned Against Anti-Semitic Violence. Sometimes it's upsetting to be right.

5. Why We Must Reform Our Criminal Justice System. Just awesome.

Song/video:

This song has been on my mind since I heard Ryan playing it on the guitar yesterday.



I know it's not the best quality, but I am totally diggin this video. (Though I always smile when I see the bathrobe/high socks/combat boot combination Perry wears in the official music video.) Perry rocks.

Thumbs Up:

1. I love the idea of a craigslist-like website for people who want to volunteer. It's called All For Good and is being created by a bunch of awesome people. Follow the link for details.

2. Way to go Rep. Barney Frank! Frank introduced a bill Thursday to allow states to make their own medical marijuana laws free of federal interference.

He also want to move marijuana from the FDA's Schedule I to Schedule II. "Moving marijuana to Schedule II would recognize its medical value, make access to it for research purposes easier and would facilitate the creation of a regulatory framework for the FDA to begin a drug approval process for marijuana."

I'm all for it!

3. Is it petty I want to give the firing of Carrie Prejean a thumbs up? Probably huh? Oh well, I'm doing it anyways. :)

People Who Get the Middle Finger:

Man, the Koreas are out in force this week.

1. North Korea’s highest court has sentenced two American journalists to 12 years of hard labor.

2. In a classic example of victim blaming, a court in South Korea has ruled that the heirs of the late actress Choi Jin-sil must compensate an advertiser since she “failed to maintain her dignity” as a model when pictures of her after a beating by her then-husband were publicized in media.

A construction company sued Choi in 2004 for W3 billion (US$1=W1,250 so that’s about $400,00 dollars) for damages incurred and the modeling fee paid. Since Choi Jin-sil died in 2008, by apparent suicide, her children will have to pay. What a bunch of fucktards.

3. The Supreme Court on Monday turned down a challenge to the Pentagon policy forbidding gays and lesbians from serving openly in the military, granting a request by the Obama administration.



Maybe President Obama has a plan, but so far it doesn’t look too good.

4. I guess that no more Ahmadinejad dance I was planning has to be put on hold since he was reelected as the Iranian president. Totally blows.

On a side note: I learned how to say "Ahnidinejad" from Whoopie on The View. She said, "Just think - I'm a dinner jacket." It totally works.

Special STFU of the week:

In a serious case of douche-ness, Rusty DePass, a GOP activist, compared an escaped gorilla to the First Lady of the United States. But don't worry, he's not just a racist. He's also an idiot because he POSTED IS ON FACEBOOK.



From Jezebel:
After a gorilla escaped from a Columbia, South Carolina zoo last week, an aide to the Attorney General posted a harmless note about it on his Facebook page. DePass, charmer that he is, replied, "I'm sure it's just one of Michelle's ancestors - probably harmless." Of course, once he was called out for being a total racist, DePass did what old racist Republican men do best: he flipped his racism around on the First Lady herself.

"I am as sorry as I can be if I offended anyone. The comment was clearly in jest," DePass says, adding, "The comment was hers. Not mine." According to DePass, Michelle Obama talks about how humans were descended from apes all the time. It's totally like, her thing she talks about you guys. Didn't you get that Michelle Obama Discusses Evolution Daily Email? No? Me either. Just Rusty DePass, then?

What a lame excuse. DePass, please STFU.

Quote/Thought that makes me happy:

“For those who believe in God, most of the big questions are answered. But for those of us who can’t readily accept the God formula, the big answers don’t remain stone-written. We adjust to new conditions & discoveries. We are pliable. Love need not be a command or faith a dictum. I am my own God. We are here to unlearn the teachings of the church, state, & our educational system. We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds & live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.” — Charles Bukowski

Something you probably don’t know about me:

This is random (maybe not so much considering I just got out of the shower), but the shampoo I use makes my hair smell like mint and rosemary. It has such a sweet clean earthy smell that I prefer over florals (I hate floral smelling anything actually). I just want to keep sniffing myself.

Only downside, it's hard to keep the mister away. :)

4 comments:

  1. I *do* have to agree with Meghan on this point, though: "Putting it bluntly, we’ve done a disservice to our violence problems by making the political argument about guns instead of whatever causes people to be violent in the first place. Anger, alcohol, drugs, economic hopelessness, reckless driving—they can all precipitate tragedy. Simply removing guns from the equation does not solve the larger problem."

    Also, I've had that song stuck in my head for the last few days and am planning a post with some lyrics from it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another coincidence! lol

    I will definitely agree partly with that, but we are also doing the same disservice by pretending guns are not part of the problem and I felt like Meghan missed few key points. Other societies have just as many guns and just as many societal problems with not as much gun violence. Maybe once we can figure out why that is we can finally envision some kind of solution.

    I was also raised in a healthy pro-gun environment so I can understand where Meghan comes from on that regard (I spent every summer in the Julian Mountains with my grandpa shooting since as far back as I can remember). But to compare guns obsession to fashion obsession is completely ignorant. She is saying we should completely disregard gun control because desperation will always lead to bad things. While that is partly true, it also perpetrates the idea that any gun control is a violation of our constitutional rights. Someone in the comments gave the perfect example: “the whole NRA myth that rational gun regulation, would do nothing to reduce gun deaths is a fantasy that only afflicts the NRA. Its like refusing to teach kids about condoms becasue theyre only 99% effective.”

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right, and I agree that her argument is flawed and she makes many ignorant points (which she does often). But I think that the point that I agree with the most is that SIMPLY removing guns does not eliminate violence. It's like I say in the DV groups I run: Alcohol, anger, provocation, none of these things *make* someone abusive. That person already had violent tendencies. Could alcohol lower his inhibitions and facilitate violence? Yes, but someone is not going to be violent simply because they were drunk; this person was already predisposed and having these aggressive/violent thoughts and feelings in the first place.

    Same with gun violence. Someone that isn't already a violent person usually isn't going to start killing people simply because there is a gun in their house. This person already has violent tendencies/fantasies/thoughts, etc.

    Which is, of course, just a small part of the bigger picture when it comes to the right to bear arms, gun control, and the NRA (which I hate and cringe to think that my aunt and uncle send my two cousins to NRA camp every summer, but I digress).

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, I totally agree with you (that’s why I brought up the comment about other societies having less violence with just s many guns). I was arguing about why I thought her argument was flawed, not the statement you quoted. I could have clarified that better though. My bad. lol

    NRA people scare me.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?