Wednesday, June 3, 2009

PETA makes me wish I liked steak

I know what it’s like to lack the proper decorum and tact in some situations (Ryan still teases me about the time I thought it would be appropriate, for some odd reason, to talk to his super Mormon - virgin - sister about anal sex the first time we met), but PETA has gone too far with its newest billboards that capitalize on Dr. Tiller’s tragic murder.

Here are the billboards PETA is planning to erect in Wichita (where Dr. Tiller’s family and loved ones are still grieving):




I'm not even as bothered by the billboards as much as I am the comments that were made in regard to them by Lindsay Rajt, campaign manager for PETA.

Not only did she blatantly admit that the billboards were prompted by the shooting of Dr. Tiller, but she had the gall to compare this tragedy to eating meat at dinner.

"If our billboards leave a bad taste in anyone's mouth, we just think they might give a thought to what animals feel when they go to the slaughterhouse," she said. "We think we would be irresponsible if we don't talk about how we're all guilty of extreme cruelty to animals every time we sit down to a meal that includes meat."

While our hearts go out to the family and friends of George Tiller, we are hoping that these billboards will make those who are rightly shocked by his murder sit up and realize that behind closed doors, millions of animals are suffering every day, and that we as individuals can help to reduce the amount of violence and suffering in the world."

What? The murder of another human being should make us think about the chicken casserole cooking in the oven? Give me a fucking break.

This is why people hate PETA. Not because we don’t care about the treatment of animals (though obviously far too many people don’t), but because our necks are too tired from looking up at PETA on it’s high fucking horse.

We get it PETA. You care. You’re wonderful people who equate animal suffering with that of humans (unless of course the family’s suffering helps you get a point across). The rest of us are all evil meat eating barbarians. We deserve to burn in fucking hell. Blah blah blah.

I shouldn't really be surprised after the "Holocaust on Your Plate" exhibition, but I thought PETA might have learned some restraint since then.

Guess not.

I do have to say this approach isn’t doing you any favors PETA. Instead of turning people away from meat, I think a lot more might be eating steaks in your honor.

-You can read the full story here.

-I do want to say I find way we treat animals abhorrent (if you have any doubts go here). I think it says a lot about our species that we think this sort cruelty is acceptable as long as it saves us money. That being said, I think PETA would get a lot further if it focused on making the meat industry more humane instead of trying to influence people into giving up animal products. In my opinion the former has a much higher chance of success then the latter.

2 comments:

  1. Hey PETA, ive killed and eaten lots of animals woooooooooo

    I'm meaty and proud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha...meaty and proud sounds a little dirty.

    You've eaten way more different types of meat then I have too. PETA would hate you. lol

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?