Thursday, June 25, 2009

Oh how the mighty have fallen

I’m having a hard time finding an interesting critical article about President Obama’s health care special last night, so I thought I would gloat over Gov. Mark Sanford’s fall from grace.

Yes I know it’s all a bit petty, but I don’t really care. So to all those sanctimonious conservatives out there, I have only one thing to say: Na na na na na.

I'm not all ashamed to admit that it makes me happy whenever any holier-than-thou person gets kicked in the face by karma. And if it happens to be a 2012 presidential hopeful, well just color me pink.

I do partly agree with Alec Baldwin (what is the world coming to?), that these sorts of situations are private affairs and we should give people their privacy. But at the same time, it’s hard to feel bad for a guy when he so willingly put himself on top of the "family values" pedestal.

I’m constantly amazed at the new heights of hypocrisy politics can bring out of people.

Conservatives are the people who exalt “traditional marriage values” above all else, but when they fall to the same "sins of the flesh" liberal men have been known to dabble in, we’re suddenly supposed to give them a free pass. How can anyone think that makes sense? (These must be the same people who didn’t see the irony in Sarah Palin having a teenage daughter that had been knocked up out of wedlock.)

We are talking about a man who said, “The issue of lying is probably the biggest harm, if you will, to the system of Democratic government, representatives government, because it undermines trust. And if you undermine trust in our system, you undermine everything,” on CNN while condemning Clinton and calling for his impeachment.

Where was his respect for privacy then?

Yes, we're all hypocrites in one way or another and maybe it's wrong to blame the whole ass backwards thinking of Christian conservative’s on the shoulder’s of men like Mark Stanford, but I don’t see anything wrong with judging a person by the standard in which they judge everyone else.

(For me, the most discerning part of this whole thing is his comments about "moral absolutes" and how "God's law indeed is there to protect you from yourself." That sort of language is always frightening.)

Ultimately, I don’t think Sanford should have to resign for making the same mistake that many people have, or will have, made themselves (though it appears some people are already calling for it within the GOP). I do think the issue of his disappearance to Buenos Aires without any word and the misappropriation of taxpayer funds should be properly explored, but I don’t doubt for a second that is being handled.

But as Carl Jeffers said, maybe Republicans should focus on their own families before they try to tell other people how to handle their own.

-Great article here about the new front runners of the GOP 2012 bid.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?