Saturday, June 27, 2009

Daily Obsession - The Uniform Project

Ok, I'll admit it. I'm addicted to The Uniform Project.



In case you have no idea what I'm talking about, here's the rundown: Sheena Matheiken has pledged to wear one dress for one year, as an exercise in sustainable fashion.

From her page:
Here's how it works: There are 7 identical dresses, one for each day of the week. Every day I will reinvent the dress with layers, accessories and all kinds of accouterments, the majority of which will be vintage, hand-made, or hand-me-down goodies. Think of it as wearing a daily uniform with enough creative license to make it look like I just crawled out of the Marquis de Sade's boudoir...The Uniform Project is also a year-long fundraiser for the Akanksha Foundation, a grassroots movement that is revolutionizing education in India. At the end of the year, all contributions will go toward Akanksha's School Project to fund uniforms and other educational expenses for slum children in India.

Even though I realize this experiment is a little unrealistic for regular women (for one, the dresses were specially made to be worn front wards or backwards, Matheiken obviously has a closet full of things to accentuate the frocks, and she has the ability to make even the oddest outfits look good), I’m still happy we get to watch this whole thing unfold.

Plus, it’s for charity. And who doesn’t like things for charity?

Anyone can donate accessories or money to The Uniform Project and since I could use some donations myself, I’m gonna send one of my zipper hair bows. (Sorry the pictures are so crappy, but I was too lazy to bust out my camera so these are just gonna have to suffice.)





I don’t know if she’ll like it, but that’s what I got. I don’t really think anything else I make will mesh with her style. (I might also send her one of my Gerda Wegener necklaces. I don’t know. It’s kind of hard to know how people are gonna respond to them and I don’t want her to take it the wrong way.)

Anyhoo, that’s it for today. Now I’m off to alter some clothes I got at the thrift store…

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?