Thursday, May 28, 2009

The Survivor Mural Project

I just learned about The Survivor Mural Project and I am completely blown away.

From the site:
If you have experienced any form of sexual violence, you are invited to contribute a piece to the mural project. Each individual piece will be placed into a larger panel, made up of hundreds of mural pieces. The project will be exhibited online in our gallery, and will eventually be put together to form a traveling patchwork mural.

We believe that collaborating with many survivors from all around the world will provide a powerful visual reminder of the staggering statistics and the devastating impact that sexual violence can have on people's lives.

Participants can choose to remain anonymous. You do NOT need to be an artist! This is your opportunity to be heard, and to offer inspiration and hope to others.

I think this is such a great idea and urge any survivors of sexual violence who might happen upon this to participate.

I have no idea what I’m going to create, but I will definitely be sending something in.

-You can find out more here and take a look at some of the submissions so far here.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. That's a really awesome idea, and some very powerful images.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know. I'm excited to be a part of something that takes tragic hurtful events and transforms them into something moving and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?