Sunday, May 31, 2009

Sunday Roundup

Is it just me or does it seem like this week was a little lacking? Oh well, let's jump in...

Random Picture:


This picture just makes me happy (it will make more sense after you read to the end).

Articles You Should Read:

1. I thought the post, Why I'm finding it hard to stomach post-Bush Bill Maher , was really interesting - mainly because I kind of feel the same way. I’ve only seen one show so far this season that didn’t make me cringe with Maher’s hypocrisy and misogynist bull shit.

I still have a major soft spot for him, but my love has definitely waned.

2. Media Matters does a great job at dispelling the Myths and falsehoods surrounding the Sotomayor nomination.

Song/video:

This just makes me giggle...



Thumbs Up:

1. President Obama's nomination of Sotomayor to the supreme court. Kudos.

2. It looks like the contraceptive sponge is making another comeback. Not all women will want to use the sponge, but for those looking to avoid hormone contraception it's a lifesaver. Or should that be life stopper?

I'm hilarious I know.

People Who Get the Middle Finger:

1. The new posters intended to raise men's awareness about and discourage domestic violence by the Rhode Island Coalition Against Domestic Violence . Some of you are probably wondering why I would give the middle finger to a group working to encourage men to be more respectful of women, but I think these pictures speak for themselves.


They may have been trying to do a good thing, but I don’t think completely dehumanizing the women of domestic abuse is the way to do. Nice intent. Poor delivery.

2. California. Need I say more?

3. The attempt of the spine-less (not to mention brain-less) conservative talk show monkeys to paint Sotomayor as a "racist" and a "bigot."

I don’t know about you, but whenever Hannity, Limbaugh, Coulter, and Beck are against something, I know it’s a good idea.

Special STFU of the week:

This one definitely goes to Meme Roth.

After reading, The woman who hates food, all I can say is wow. Meme Roth is a psycho who is disillusioned enough to think the only sure fire was to combat obesity is by fat-shaming people.

Yes, because fat people would know nothing about shame.

But one comment she said was just outrageous, "The defense has been made in the case of sex criminals that there is pleasure on the part of the victim. The same is true with what we're doing with food. We may abuse our bodies with food, but it's incredibly pleasurable. From a food marketer's point of view, when your quote unquote victim is so willing and enjoying of the process, who's fighting back?"

What? By enjoying the food I eat I am participating in my own rape? I'd also like to know who, besides rapists, have used that defense.

Meme Roth, please STFU.

Quote/Thought that makes me happy:
I find the whole mythology surrounding superheroes fascinating. Take my favorite superhero, Superman. Not a great comic book. Not particularly well-drawn. But the mythology... The mythology is not only great, it's unique. Now, a staple of the superhero mythology is, there's the superhero and there's the alter ego. Batman is actually Bruce Wayne, Spider-Man is actually Peter Parker. When that character wakes up in the morning, he's Peter Parker. He has to put on a costume to become Spider-Man. And it is in that characteristic Superman stands alone. Superman didn't become Superman. Superman was born Superman. When Superman wakes up in the morning, he's Superman. His alter ego is Clark Kent. His outfit with the big red "S", that's the blanket he was wrapped in as a baby when the Kents found him. Those are his clothes. What Kent wears - the glasses, the business suit - that's the costume. That's the costume Superman wears to blend in with us. Clark Kent is how Superman views us. And what are the characteristics of Clark Kent. He's weak... he's unsure of himself... he's a coward. Clark Kent is Superman's critique on the whole human race. - Kill Bill

Something you probably don’t know about me:

I pick up snails that I find on the sidewalk and move them to the bushes.

I know it seems silly, but I think the little buggers deserve another chance. It's not like it's their fault we ruined their stomping grounds with all our buildings.

It's just the least I can do (it's times like these that Ryan shakes his head in wonder of how he ended up with such a strange being).

3 comments:

  1. Meme Roth!!! tut tut.. that is the most stupid thing ive read in a long time. So eating food is like rape! or raping yourself? is that even possible? NO

    yaaay for the contraceptive sponge ;/

    ReplyDelete
  2. what's that about? you not into the sponge? lol

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?