Sunday, May 24, 2009

Sunday Roundup

I hope everyone’s having a great Sunday.

Let’s jump right in...

Random Picture:



I know it’s sad, but I just love this picture from Teddy Roosevelt’s journal.

He put a large X and wrote, “The light has gone out of my life,” on the day in which both his mother and wife died within hours of each other.


Articles You Should Read:

1. I thought this post, I had an abortion. (And I don't regret it!), at feministing was really interesting because it wasn’t the usual sob story regarding abortion. It’s just a post written by a woman who had an abortion; simple, but outrageously brave. Some other stories are shared in the comments and it was just a really nice thing to read.

2. Dylan Loewe sums up President Obama’s decision to name Utah Governor, Jon Hunstman, as Ambassador to China in the article, A Political Masterstroke. Loved it.

Song/video:



Jezebel had a post the other day, "20 Songs About Cunnilingus" and Akinyele's "Put it in your mouth" was obviously included.

I hadn't heard the song in so long and it brought back memories of the first time I'd ever heard it and thinking it was so salacious.

I remember feeling ridiculously naughty singing along.

Thumbs Up:

1. To Congress for passing credit card reform legislation and President Obama for signing it into law.

2. To Erich “Mancow” Muller for not only having the guts to get water boarded (when Mr. Sean Hannity wouldn't), but for also admitting it is "way worse then he thought it would be" and that it's "absolutely torture."

The fact that water boarding is still being debated shows the collective intelligence of this country.

People Who Get the Middle Finger:

1. But while Congress may have passed credit card reform legislation, they also voted to allow guns in National Parks which Obama later signed into law.

Cause what America really needs is more places people can bring guns.

2. But not to be outdone, the Texas legislature has passed a bill to allow college students and teachers to carry concealed weapons on school grounds.

3. I am so appalled by President Obama’s suggestion that we should have a system of “preventative detention” I don’t even know what to say.

Not only does the idea of imprisoning people based on the assumption they might commit a crime in the future go against every idea of Liberty we American’s are supposed to hold so dear, but it is in direct violation of the constitution.

There is no rational for this. I don’t care how “dangerous” these people are to our “freedom.” Imprisoning people without due process erodes the very ideology of America. Not to mention the entire justice system.

Again, I point you towards Glenn Greenwald’s excellent summation of this terribly frightening idea.

Rachel Maddow also did a great segment on the hypocrisy of President Obama condemning the Bush administration while simultaneously stomping all over the constitution. Watch it here. Now.

Quote/Thought that makes me happy:
“I’m not embarrassed about being bisexual. This is who I am. Love is pure and I try to keep it that way. This is who I am, what I feel. I think it’s unnecessary to draw the subject out, but I think it even more stupid not to discuss it. It seems as if bisexuality is a trend and I should whip up the masses. Well, I don’t believe in trends, I just believe in me.” -Pink

Something you probably don’t know about me:

I hate mayonnaise. Actually, the word “hate” doesn’t even come close to the abhorrence I feel towards mayonnaise. I can’t stand the taste of it and just the thought of it makes me want to gag.

A bottle last forever in our house. The only reason I even allow it in our fridge is for deviled eggs and potato salad. Other then that, it’s pretty much Ryan’s responsibility to buy it and eat it.

I just don’t get it. It’s like smearing lard on your food. I’m starting to get carried away, but I just hate it.

HATE IT.

9 comments:

  1. The abortion link was refreshing. Thanks for sharing it.

    The "preventive detention" bill is depressing and a complete jab to the heart of freedom.

    And I love mayonaise lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Then I’m afraid we can never friends. haha

    Ok, I'm not that much of a mayonnaise hater, but dipping your fries in it is a complete deal breaker. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha, yeah. Gotta love Texas' decision to allow college kids to have guns. Cuz stressed out, drunk college kids + guns = safety. RIIIGHT. *rolls eyes* It's a real shame that state is mulling secession. lolz

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know Beelzebub, it’s completely crazy! The article said the senator who introduced the bill, Jeff Wentworth, did so because of the Virginia Tech massacre. He said he didn’t want Texas student to be “picked off like sitting ducks” if a similar situation were to happen in Texas.

    Yeah, cause everyone carrying guns is really gonna lead to less gun violence. Idiot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hah! I hate mayonaise, too. Never touch the stuff.

    Interesting blog you have here.

    (capcha word: "emotterr". Interesting).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love mayonnaise. I eat it on EVERYTHING. Yes, I dip my fries in it. I also dip pickles in it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're crazy Britni! Crazy I tell you! haha

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have to dip your fries in the mayo!! its gods will! Im a mayo lover i have it on everything.

    Im not a big fan of Ketchup! its overrated. HP Brown sauce mmmmmm the best!

    Loving Mancow (thats a cartoon name)

    Hating Preventative Detention (also something to add to our Liberty - Justice debate lol)

    ReplyDelete
  9. man you guys are gross. lol

    I do think Ketchup is a bit overrated. People out here eat a lot of fry sauce (which is just mayo and ketchup mixed together) but I'm more of a mustard kind of gal. Or ranch. I love ranch and vinaigrettes.

    We don’t have HP sauce out here so I can’t really comment about that. I’m guessing it’s like a steak sauce. Not a huge steak sauce fan either. lol

    Britain actually has the longest detention period of any country (not counting our guantanamo issues) at 28 days as of now. Luckily, there is already a backlash about Obama’s proposal.

    Haworth, I’m starting to think everything correlates with our Justice/Liberty debate. :)

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?