Sunday, May 3, 2009

Sunday Roundup

I don’t have too much to talk about today. Since it seems most Sundays are like this, I decided to start a roundup. I don’t know if I’ll do it every Sunday, or ever again for that matter, but for today it works.

Here are a few random tidbits:

Random picture:

The weather has been totally shitty here the last few days and yesterday we passed a big ass rainbow caused by all the rain. You can't really tell from the picture but this thing was HUGE.



I know it’s dorky, but I pretty much turn into a little kid everytime I see a rainbow (or a shooting star). It’s just one of those things that brings me a fleeting moment of pure bliss.

Articles:

1. I thought the article, "Gathering Storm: Miss California Trying to Redefine Traditional Breasts for the Rest of Us" was a little silly. Bryan Normoyle essentially compares the argument of "traditional marriage" to that of "traditional breasts."

2. "Unbiased sex education is a child's right" from The Guardian is a good read.

3. "Believe Me, It’s Torture", by Christopher Hitchens, was written in August but I think it's great and very much relevant.

Song/video:



This is the first song I've heard from Manchester Orchastra and I totally love it. (We don't usually watch Letterman, but I'm very happy Leno chose this day to show re-runs.)

A few shout outs for this last week:

Congrats to Carol Ann Duffy's appointment as the first female – and first openly gay – laureate.

I was also really happy to hear that the Afghanistan President will amend the marital rape law.

And last but definitely not least, I want to wish Supreme Court Justice David Souter a happy retirement.

People who get the finger:

The New Hampshire senate for unanimously rejecting a bill that would have extended anti-discrimination laws to transgendered people. Shame on them.

Attempts made by some media outlets *cough* Fox News *cough* to turn the H1N1 virus (also known as the swine flu) into a fear driven race war against illegal immigrants.

And I want to give a special "f-you" to the U.S. District Judge, James Selna, who ruled that a Mission Viejo history teacher violated the First Amendment by telling students that creationism is "superstitious nonsense."

Quote/Thought that makes me happy:
“You can’t be afraid of words that speak the truth. I don’t like words that hide the truth. I don’t like words that conceal reality. I don’t like euphemisms or euphemistic language. And American english is loaded with euphemisms. Because Americans have a lot of trouble dealing with reality. Americans have trouble facing the truth, so they invent a kind of a soft language to protect themselves from it. And it gets worse with every generation. For some reason it just keeps getting worse...

...Smug, greedy well-fed white people have invented a language to conceal their sins. It’s as simple as that. The CIA doesn’t kill people anymore, they neutralize people, or they depopulate the area. The government doesn’t lie, it engages in disinformation. The pentagon actually measures radiation in something they call sunshine units. Israeli murderers are called commandos. Arab commandos are called terrorists. Contra killers are called freedom fighters. Well if crime fighters fight crime and fire fighters fight fire what do freedom fighters fight? They never mention that part of it to us, do they?" -George Carlin

Political Cartoon:


And that's it. Cheers.

3 comments:

  1. Good round up, Carol Ann Duffy appointment was great, loving the Manchester Orchestra, also love the Quote.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I actually enjoyed doing it so I will probably do one the sunday too.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?