Saturday, May 23, 2009

Please don't pet me

Why do people think its okay to touch me?

I know that sounds odd, but a lady at the store started petting my head like I was a puppy in desperate need of love.

Wtf? Is there some secret “I like to be touched by strangers” code red hair gives out?

You wouldn’t think this sort of thing happens a lot, but it does. People constantly touch my hair when I have it down.

I could understand if my hair had fairy dust weaved throughout it or the secret to Jesus’ divinity hidden within, but it doesn’t.

So don't.

I barely like to be touched by people I know let alone some lady I’ve never met in the craft store.

On a related note: why do people feel the need to give out hugs when they leave? Do they think we might have separation anxiety if they suddenly grow boundaries and keep their hands to their self?

Now, I don’t mean to sound like I’m allergic to human contact. I have no problem if someone accidentally bumps me or I touch knees with one of my friends at dinner. I just don’t like the idea of some random person touching me, especially my hair.

I think touching a person’s hair is, in many ways, erotic and extremely intimate.

For a random person to do it just makes me uncomfortable.

So if you ever have the urge to pet me, please show some self restraint. I promise I’ll let you touch me if we become friends.

Deal?

End of rant.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?