Thursday, May 21, 2009

Jesus Camp

I don’t watch much t.v. (though I almost always have it on in the background or I feel alone. Odd isn't it?), but last night was awesome.

Not only did I watch a show about sexuality in the Middle Ages, but I got to watch the documentary Jesus Camp.



And wow.

I missed the first half, but I honestly don’t think my brain could have handled the entire clusterfuck.

Here’s a summary from wikipedia:
Jesus Camp is a 2006 U.S. documentary directed by Rachel Grady and Heidi Ewing about a Pentecostal/charismatic summer camp for children who spend their summers learning and practicing their "prophetic gifts" and being taught that they can "take back America for Christ." According to the distributor, it "doesn't come with any prepackaged point of view" and tries to be "an honest and impartial depiction of one faction of the evangelical Christian community.”

I think the directors did a great job at being impartial and letting the crazy speak for itself.

Through out the movie these children are taught that Harry Potter is against god, they're god's warriors, and we need to put god back in our schools and have a "righteous government."

But the part I found most creepy, was the camp’s anti-choice propaganda. They showed the children little tiny dolls, which look exactly like babies, and told them that a third of their friends would be here today if they had been allowed to be born.

They then essentially told these children that it’s their responsibility to stop abortion in America.

Here’s a great clip:



Is that not one of the most frightening things you've ever seen?

-You see more clips of Jesus Camp here.

Side note: I hate showing clips of Pentecostals speaking in tongues because I think people tend to take it the wrong way. I went to a Pentecostal church for over a year, as a spectator not a believer, and it’s one of the only churches I’ve ever been in that has any true sense of feeling or life in it. I am talking about sermons so powerful that even I, as a nonbeliever, was moved. The only other church that can compare is an Baptist church that I had the pleasure of visiting a few times.

(Yes, this atheist likes churches. Not only is the music generally good, I love choirs, but you find the most interesting characters and people to watch.)

Pentecostals really do act the way they’re portrayed (as here and even in the movie Borat), but I have never seen this kind of blatant political activism.

My point is that even though they may be crazy, they’re no more crazy then any other Christian who thinks Jesus was born of a virgin or Mormon who wears magic underwear.

5 comments:

  1. Ive has this on DVD sor a few months now and havnt got round to watching it!! But i will when i can be bothered lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you should watch it. it's crazy. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't even get me started on religious fanatics or religion in general. I can't even believe people are allowed to brainwash their own children like that. It's quite pathetic. Makes me sick.

    And I liked the anatomic jewelry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Embee!

    And I'm totally with you in regards to brainwashing children. It's horrible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This movie was FRIGHTENING. Fucking FRIGHTENING. I watched it with my mouth hanging open.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?