Wednesday, May 6, 2009

I don’t like Prejean, but this slut shaming misogyny is ridiculous.

From my previous posts it’s obvious I have little love for Prejean so even I was surprised at just how much this situation bothered me.

I’m talking, of course, about the “semi-nude” pictures of Carrie Prejean that were released on the internet (though I don’t think they’re any racier then posing in a bikini on national television).

I’m not gonna lie, my anger has little too do with her personally.

Even though I’m willing to acknowledge that this must be a difficult situation to find oneself in, Prejean has shown little hesitation to act the victim so I’m sure she’ll be fine. Playing the martyr seems to fit her like a well worn glove.

(And I don’t really have an opinion about whether or not she should loose her crown. I do know that she wouldn’t be the only person to have suffered this sort of embarrassing situation. I do find it strange how the Miss America pageant is so obsessed with sexualizing women while being militant about their perceived chastity, but that’s a whole other issue.)

Really, my issue with this whole situation is our own hypocrisy in trying to fight homophobia with misogyny.

I mean, can we really not think of a valid argument against homophobia?

There are so many reasonable and logical ways to show the hypocrisy of the anti-marriage equality people. We don’t need to try to slut shame Prejean in order to make our point. By doing so we are shifting the focus on the least important part of this issue, Prejean’s personal life.

And yes, we can scream “hypocrisy” like dying banshees from the hilltops, but it will make little difference.

Because people on both sides are going to feel vindicated by this situation. Those who support her, will use this as proof of her being “persecuted for her religious beliefs” and exalt her even higher in their minds. And those of us who could clearly see what an ignorant spokesperson she really was, will hold tighter to that view.

Nothing is gained here. The only difference is now the line in the sand will be even harder to breach.

We need to realize that one person’s hypocrisy is not going to make a difference in the long fight for marriage equality (plus religion seems to love the personal struggle of “redemption”).

And perpetuating this obsession with chastity and "pureness" hurts all women. Not just Prejean.

-I purposely did not link to the photo’s of Prejean because I felt I would only be adding to the problem if I did.

2 comments:

  1. there was an eloquent lady on Olbermann who said it best about Miss California, i cant remember what she said now but it was spot on.

    I think tho this has gone onlong enough, and we are basically making a career for this woman!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you’re talking about. It was great!

    She said something about Prejean being upset that she’s being attacked and her morality is in question because she’s part of a certain group (models) so she should have a little more empathy towards gay people who suffer from the same thing for just trying to live their lives.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?