Friday, April 3, 2009

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent

Most of you have probably already heard about the situation in New York at the American Civic Association building involving a gunman and some hostages.

I went to the yahoo news page and here are some of the links that come up:

- Hostages taken, at least 6 wounded in NY State

- Mass. mother charged with stabbing 2-year-old girl

- Eight die in nursing home massacre

- Flogging video shakes Pakistan peace accord


It makes me want to throw up.

I just don't get what can make a person kill another human being or stab a child.

I mean, I get it. But I don't understand it.

The idea of hurting another person, let alone a child, is physically revolting to me.

"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. Instead of diminishing evil, it multiplies it. Through violence you may murder the liar, but you cannot murder the lie, nor establish the truth. Through violence you may murder the hater, but you do not murder hate. In fact, violence merely increases hate. So it goes. Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." Martin Luther King Jr.

I guess as a dirty hippie I should have always known I’d be a pacifist, but I can't accept that this is the best we can offer to one another.

I can't and I won't.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?