Monday, April 27, 2009

Prejean Wows Us Again

I just read an interesting interview of Carrie Prejean by Rex Wockner , a LGBT blogger.



While Prejean didn’t say anything I wasn't expecting to hear, I did think her comments about how being gay is a lifestyle choice were rather ridiculous:
Rex: I understand that you were raised to believe that marriage is between a man and a woman, and I understand that you grew up knowing that you were always going to marry a guy, but you're heterosexual. Um, some people are born gay, maybe, you think?

Carrie: No, I don't think so.

Rex: OK, so now we're getting somewhere.

Carrie: I think it's a behavior that develops over time.

Rex: Why would someone choose it, given that if you choose that, you get discriminated against?

Carrie: Um, because obviously Perez Hilton doesn't think that there's anything wrong with it.

Rex: No, but if being gay is a choice, rather than something you're born with, why would you choose something that's going to lead to your being discriminated against? What would be the motivation?

Carrie: I'm not sure what the motivation would be.

Rex: OK. Me either.


Of course she doesn’t know what the motivation would be because there isn’t a logical one to be found (not that logic’s her strong suit).

To her homosexuality is just a “behavior.” Knowing she honestly believes that people can choose to be gay makes it utterly unsurprising she thinks gays shouldn’t be given marriage equality.

Because there is no room for love in her limited view of gay couples.

To her this so called “behavior” is essentially sexual acts. Her idea of homosexuality is based on what a person does with their genitals and not how they feel.

The really depressign fact is that Prejean is definitely not the only person who feels this way.

One point that people fail to mention when faced with this sort of narrow mindedness is this: If being gay is a choice (which I obviously don’t believe), why does Prejean, or any other person, have the right to decide what sexual decisions of another person are right or wrong?

The answer’s simple: They don't.

I really hope this is the last time I have to post about Ms. Prejean, but I’m worried this is just the beginning.

1 comment:

  1. Um. WOW. I think that's all there is to say about that.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?